BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 12°C Tuesday 20 October 2020
Advertisement

Clane RFC members embark on 170km fundraising run to Thomond Park

30 club members set off from Kildare early this morning and hope to arrive in Limerick in time for Munster vs. Leinster.

The fundraising run reaches Portlaoise.
The fundraising run reaches Portlaoise.
Image: ClaneRFC on Facebook

IF YOU ARE on your way to the Munster and Leinster game at Thomond Park tomorrow, keep an eye out for 30 exhausted souls deservedly resting their weary feet.

Members of Clane RFC are almost halfway through a 170 kilometre fundraising run and cycle relay from their clubhouse in Kildare to the Limerick home of Munster Rugby.

The 30 runners and cyclists, and a sizeable support team that includes former Ireland rugby player Shane Byrne, passed their Portlaoise checkpoint shortly after 2:30pm, 65km into their 100km leg on day one.

Roscrea is the resting point tonight before another early morning start tomorrow, destination Thomond Park.

Event organiser Ciarán Kelly told TheScore.ie, “Each year, the club has a fundraiser with money going towards upkeep and a chosen charity or two. I believe the run to Thomond was conceived in the pub, like all great ideas, a couple of months back.

“30 people are doing five kilometre legs, on foot or bike, in a relay format. We’re hoping to get 100km done tonight and set off from Roscrea in the morning.” He added:

75% of the money raised will go towards the development and repairs of a our club car-park. The other 25% will be split between Our Lady’s Hospice in Harold’s Cross and SOSAD, a suicide awareness charity.”

The club hoped to raise €10,000 from the relay to Limerick but have so far exceeded all expectations, reaching €13,000 with fingers firmly crossed for further donations.

Once the fundraising troupe reach Limerick, the majority will take in the Pro12 clash between Munster and Leinster while the remainder, as Kelly remarks, will look for a generous Munster pub to look after them.

You can support the event by donating at www.idonate.ie/ck or you texting Donate Run to 57977 at €2.50 per text.

It’s Paul O’Connell versus Brian O’Driscoll, 18 months in the making

WATCH: Amazing Al Pacino/Páidí O’Sé tribute to the late Kerry legend

About the author:

Patrick McCarry

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel