Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 9°C Thursday 24 September 2020

Dundalk finally awarded a penalty, miss it but still progress - ironically - after Cup shootout

Elsewhere, there were Dublin, Munster and north-west derbies to be decided.

Image: Morgan Treacy; ©INPHO/Morgan Treacy/INPHO

THE TOPIC OF penalties has cropped up quite frequently for Dundalk over the last week.

Ironically, they progressed to the last-eight of this year’s EA Sports Cup by winning a shootout against UCD, though it was a nervy affair for Stephen Kenny’s side who came into the fixture having lost three of their previous six games.

And at Oriel Park, they went behind to Gary O’Neill’s first-half strike.

After the break, the home side were awarded a penalty – their first in almost twelve months – but Ciaran Kilduff saw his effort saved by Niall Corbet.

You’d forgive Kenny for feeling cursed.

But, Conor Clifford equalised with 15 minutes to go and after two cagey periods of extra-time, a shootout followed.

Both sides were unerringly accurate but in sudden-death, Yousef Mahdy missed and Dundalk won out 7-6 to book a quarter-final place.

A shootout was required to separate St. Patrick’s Athletic and Bray Wanderers too, with the SuperSaints winning 5-3 after Ryan Brennan’s early miss.

Graham Kelly slotted home the winning kick at Richmond Park.

Meanwhile, Brandon Miele grabbed a brace as Shamrock Rovers got the better of Dublin rivals Bohemians in Tallaght.

Brandon Miele celebrates scoring their third goal Source: Ryan Byrne; ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne/INPHO

The game was delicately poised at 1-1 before he found the net on 65 and 79 minutes.

At the Market’s Field, rampant Airtricity League Premier Division leaders Cork City put three past provincial neighbours Limerick. Garry Buckley and Shane Griffin were on the mark while Shane Tracey put through his own net.

Garry Buckley Source: Donall Farmer; ©INPHO/Donall Farmer/INPHO

On a day of derbies, Sligo played host to Finn Harps in the north-west in a game that needed extra-time to find a winner. With a shootout looming, Matthew Stevens’ pounced with a header to claim bragging rights for the home side.

Shane Keegan’s Galway have found the going tough in the league but picked up a confidence-boosting 2-0 victory against Derry City thanks to goals from Kevin Devaney  and Vinny Faherty.

And, in the battle of the First Division sides, Waterford progressed at the expense of Cobh Ramblers after a 2-0 win at the RSC while Longford picked up the same result against Shelbourne at Tolka Park.

‘To say I could have had a great career in England, that’s only b******s’

Sheppard’s stunner ensures it’s a great Friday for Cork City as their remarkable run continues

About the author:

Eoin O'Callaghan

Read next: