This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Monday 10 December, 2018
Advertisement

Jason Quigley turns pro after signing up with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy

The Donegal boxer surrendered his national title in February, sparking speculation he was to leave the amateur ranks.

Quigley kisses his silver medal at last year's world championships.
Quigley kisses his silver medal at last year's world championships.
Image: Cathal Noonan/INPHO

IRISH AMATEUR BOXING has lost one of its best talents, and medal prospects for the 2016 Olympics, after Jason Quigley opted to join the professional ranks.

The 22-year-old middleweight, who won silver at the 2013 World Championships, will bypass his Olympic dreams, in Rio, to chase world title glory. The Ballybofey native has signed up with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy promotions company.

He told Sky Sports: “I’m really, really excited. I’ve been contemplating whether to make this move or not, but I’ve gone with this feeling in my heart that I have the excitement and hunger to go on and fulfill my childhood dreams of becoming a world professional champion.”

The writing was on the wall in February when Quigley failed to register to defend his national middleweight title. This followed a December 2013 interview he gave to TheScore.ie when he admitted he was tempted to join the pro ranks.

During the interview, he said, “I’ve represented my country with all my heart and I was just so proud to put on that Irish vest. Maybe it’s time to take off the Irish vest now and go to the pro ranks.

“My first ever ambition was to be a professional world champion, ever since I was a young fella.”

Quigley decision to leave the amateur ranks comes on the back of John Joe Nevin’s deal, with Greenblood Boxing, to turn professional back in October.

6 problems the new Manchester United manager needs to solve

JJ Hanrahan, Rob Kearney and Jonny Sexton up for 2014 Try of the Year

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Patrick McCarry

Read next:

COMMENTS (5)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel