This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Friday 18 October, 2019
Advertisement

UFC 'disappointed' by Jon Jones arrest - but won't pull him from Cormier rematch at 197

Top pound-for-pound fighter arrested this week for violating his probation.

Jones: Stripped of light-heavyweight title following hit-and-run incident.
Jones: Stripped of light-heavyweight title following hit-and-run incident.
Image: Gregory Payan

THE UFC IS “concerned” and “disappointed” by Jon Jones’ behaviour — but will not pull the former light-heavyweight champion from his rematch with Daniel Cormier.

Jones, 28, was in court in New Mexico today where he was ordered to carry out 60 hours of community service as well as enlist in anger management and driver improvement classes.

The UFC’s top pound-for-pound fighter was arrested earlier this week after traffic charges brought against him violated the terms of his probation.

These latest legal troubles immediately cast doubt on his return to the Octagon at UFC 197, where he will bid to defeat Cormier and regain the title which was stripped from him last year following a hit-and-run incident.

The UFC this evening issued a statement to slap Jones on the wrist but said that the Cormier fight on 23 April will proceed as planned.

“UFC respects the decision made today by Judge Michael E. Martinez in New Mexico Second Judicial District Court regarding the probation terms of the case involving Jon Jones,” it said.

“The organisation was disappointed to learn that Jones was cited for several traffic offenses last week, as well as concerned by the nature and tone of portions of the conversation between Jones and the citing officer.

“Still, UFC respects Jones’ right to contest those traffic citations in court and receive a fair hearing on the matter.

“Jones’ scheduled bout on April 23 will proceed as planned, however, Jones understands that the UFC expects him to fully cooperate with the terms of his probation as set forth by Judge Martinez.”

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Revenue takes precedence over rankings as the UFC bend the rules to suit McGregor’s needs

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Niall Kelly

Read next:

COMMENTS (8)