This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Tuesday 21 January, 2020
Advertisement

'I really want to learn from what has happened': Suarez won't appeal 10-match ban

Liverpool’s star striker may not return to Premier League action until October.

Luis Suarez: 5 month summer holiday.
Luis Suarez: 5 month summer holiday.
Image: AP Photo/Matt Dunham

Updated 14.55

LIVERPOOL STRIKER LUIS SUAREZ has opted not to appeal the 10-match ban handed out to him by the FA on Wednesday.

The Uruguayan was slapped with the precedent-setting ban following his bite on Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a Premier League clash at Anfield last Sunday.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, yesterday, slammed the decision and suggested the the FA were banning the man and not the incident. Suarez had previously been banned for seven matches for biting a PSV Eindhoven player while he was at Ajax.

Suarez apologised again today and while he pointed out that the ban is longer than ones handed out “where players have actually been seriously injured”, he accepted that the incident was not acceptable and did not want to give the wrong impression by appealing.

The severity of the ban means he may not return to Premier League action until early October.

“I am truly very sorry about the incident with Branislav Ivanovic,” Suarez wrote in a statement. “I hope that all the people who I have offended at Anfield last Sunday will grant me forgiveness and I again repeat my personal apology to Branislav.

“I know that all the things that are happening to me in England right now will help me to improve my conduct on the field. Right now, I just want to focus on becoming a better footballer on and off the field.

I would like to explain to everybody that I decided to accept the ban because whilst 10 games is clearly greater than those bans given in past cases where players have actually been seriously injured, I acknowledge that my actions were not acceptable on the football so I do not want to give the wrong impression to people by making an appeal.

I really want to learn from what has happened in the last 2.5 years, many things have been said and written about me, I just tried to do my best on the field. I hope to come back early to play.

Liverpool today reiterated their support for Suarez and though disappointed, both Rodgers and managing director Ian Ayre said that they respect his decision to accept the ban without an appeal.

Rodgers said: “We can’t hide our disappointment at the outcome of this situation, but we have to move on and support Luis in his decision.

Luis has made a huge contribution to the squad this season and we respect his decision to accept the ban.

He will be missed for the remainder of this season and the early part of next, but we will have the opportunity to welcome a better person and player when he returns.

Ayre: “The charges against Luis were his to consider and we have to respect his decision to not appeal the 10-game ban.

“We are all disappointed at the severity of the punishment and in particular the differing standards that have been applied across various previous incidents.

Luis is an important member of our team and nothing has changed in that regard.

We are committed to helping him improve his conduct and he will be given our full support. We look forward to him returning to the team next season when he is available for selection.

– Additional reporting by Niall Kelly

‘We will give Man United a guard of honour’ – Wenger

An audience with Zanetti: Pope Francis gets to meet his (and our) idol

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Patrick McCarry

Read next:

COMMENTS (32)