Munster set to face Untoward Incident Review after Murray's suspected head injury

The scrum-half was involved in a heavy tackle on Glasgow’s Tim Swinson.

THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING Conor Murray’s suspected head injury against Glasgow are set to be investigated, with a working group to be convened in the coming days to carry out an Untoward Incident Review of the incident.

The42 understands that the Champions Cup’s Medical Advisory Group, acting on behalf of EPCR, has launched the process of organising an independent working group to look into the incident, with the RFU’s Dr. Simon Kemp believed to be heading up the committee.


Ireland international scrum-half Murray took a heavy blow in a tackle on Glasgow’s Tim Swinson during Munster’s 14-12 win at Scotstoun yesterday, and the province has faced some criticism for not immediately removing him from the field of play.

Murray was examined on the pitch by Munster’s medical team and played on, making a big tackle on Josh Strauss only moments later, before he was called ashore for a Head Injury Assessment during the next break in play.

Having passed the HIA, Murray subsequently returned at scrum-half, helping Munster to create their match-winning try.

Former England prop Alex Corbisiero, now a pundit for NBC Sports, was among those to express shock that Murray was not immediately removed after the tackle on Swinson, and then again when the scrum-half came back from his HIA to play on.

Munster told The42 that Murray was assessed on the pitch immediately after the tackle on Swinson and showed no signs of concussion.

The province says that upon further review of the footage by their medics, Murray was removed in order to carry out HIA 1 as a precaution. He passed that assessment and therefore returned to play.

Munster say that Murray was then put through HIA 2 after the game in Glasgow and also passed that.

Conor Murray tackled by Jonny Gray Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO

However, the issue of concussion is a huge one in rugby at present and it now looks like Munster will be investigated for any signs of malpractice in this incident.

What are they
really like?

Rare insights on sport's biggest names from the writers who know them best. Listen to Behind the Lines podcast.

Become a Member

The recent controversy over George North has put the game’s governing bodies on high alert and with questions being asked about this Murray case, an Untoward Incident Review is set to begin in the coming days.

Northampton escaped any sanctions for their treatment of North, when the Wales wing had appeared to lose consciousness on the pitch after a heavy fall, but returned to the field after passing a HIA.

World Rugby’s review of that incident included the latest reminder that even the suspicion of concussion should result in the permanent removal of a player from the field of play, without any HIA taking place.

“The World Rugby head injury protocol clearly states that a player should be immediately and permanently removed from the field of play where there are any visible symptoms or suspicion of a potential concussion,” said the statement.

It’s unclear what sanctions, if any, Munster will face if they are found to have mistreated Murray in this instance.

Munster also confirmed to The42 that captain Peter O’Mahony failed a HIA after being replaced in the second half of yesterday’s game. He will now undergo the return-to-play protocols.

Francis Saili’s winning try still looks every bit as good this morning

About the author:

Murray Kinsella

Read next: