Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 8°C Sunday 11 April 2021

Winless Sligo move off the bottom but Fagan rescues a point for Pat's

A positive result for Rovers but they’re still without a victory after seven games.

Graham Kelly of St Pat's is challenged by Sligo's John Russell.
Graham Kelly of St Pat's is challenged by Sligo's John Russell.
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

St Patrick’s Athletic 1

Sligo Rovers 1

ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC came from behind to earn a point at home to Sligo Rovers in a closely-fought 1-1 draw at Richmond Park tonight.

Christy Fagan scored his fifth goal of the season to rescue a sluggish St Pat’s after Sligo had taken the lead just before half-time through Gary Boylan.

After last week’s postponed fixture at Finn Park, Liam Buckley’s charges looked fresh in the early stages. Pat’s took the early initiative with Mark Timlin and Billy Dennehy looking lively down both wings.

But Sligo slowly grew into the game and they had the first real chance. Kieran Sadlier floated in a corner which was met sweetly by John Russell but his shot was cleared off the line by Dennehy.

A few minutes later the away side really should have taken the lead as a back-pass from Christy Fagan let in Jaanai Gordon who went through one-on-one with Brendan Clarke, who saved low to his left after Gordon hesitated following a good covering tackle from Darren Dennehy.

Dennehy was soon on the front foot though as he found Fagan who laid off to Billy Dennehy, whose weak left-footed shot from 20 yards was comfortably dealt with by Micheal Schlingermann.

Rovers were on the attack moments later and a neat interchange from Keohane and Sadlier down the inside left channel led to a chance for Gordon, who did brilliantly to head on target after the cross went behind him forcing a one-handed saved from Clarke, who adjusted well to force the corner.

Darren Dennehy with Kieran Sadlier Darren Dennehy of St Pat's wins a header over Kieran Sadlier of Sligo Rovers. Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO

Dave Robertson’s men then deservedly took the lead four minutes before half-time. Billy Dennehy fouled Kieran Sadlier 20 yards out and Sadlier took the free-kick himself. He fired a powerful shot to Brendan Clarke’s right but the Saints keeper could only parry to the on-rushing Gary Boylan, who reacted quickest and made no mistake to smash the rebound in to the net to give Sligo the lead.

Keohane brought out a double save from Clarke early in the second half before Ian Bermingham crossed from the left and he found top scorer Fagan who headed the equaliser.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

The Bit o’ Red nearly retook the lead when Keohane found himself free in the box but he saw his effort snuffed out by a crucial tackle from Darren Dennehy, who slid in at the last second to prevent Rovers going back ahead.

Pat’s attempted to get in behind in the remaining minutes but they resorted to long-range efforts as Sligo remained resolute to hold out for a point that lifted them off the foot of the table.

St Patrick’s Athletic: Brendan Clarke, Ger O’Brien (Michael Barker, 50), Ian Bermingham, Darren Dennehy, Shane McEleney, David Cawley, Keith Treacy (Sam Verdon, 86), Mark Timlin, Graham Kelly (Conan Byrne, 77), Billy Dennehy, Christy Fagan.

Sligo Rovers: Micheal Schlingermann, Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, Regan Donelon, Michael Leahy, Gary Boylan, Craig Roddan, Jimmy Keohane, John Russell (Richards, 70), Liam Martin, Kieran Sadlier (Place, 87), Jaanai Gordon (Cretaro,70).

Referee: Neil Doyle

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Duffer’s set to have a rival in the race to be the country’s new favourite football pundit

Shades of Mayo v Meath in 1996 as massive half-time brawl occurs during Australian league game

About the author:

Read next: