Dublin: 12°C Saturday 25 June 2022

Defending champions UCC remain on course for another Sigerson Cup title

The Cork side booked their semi-final spot at the expense of IT Sligo this afternoon.

Conor Cox was in good scoring form for UCC today.
Conor Cox was in good scoring form for UCC today.
Image: James Crombie/INPHO

UCC 0-13
IT Sligo 0-8

Denis Hurley reports from The Mardyke

SIGERSON CUP HOLDERS UCC ensured that they will be present as hosts of the finals weekend next Friday and Saturday as they overcame IT Sligo at The Mardyke today.

Having been expelled and then reinstated into the competition, with the game arranged at short notice, Sligo had gone without training but threatened to stage a fightback as Daniel McKenna’s outside-of-the-boot effort brought them to within three points in the 58th minute.

UCC had been denied a goal on more than one occasion by Sligo goalkeeper Alvin McCarrig, as they sought to put the game to bed.

But Billy Morgan’s side were not going to be overhauled. They secured a semi-final spot with IT Carlow as Luke Connolly and Conor Cox got late points.

UCC began without the injured pair of Ian Maguire and Paul Geaney — though Sligo were missing Ryan and Mark McHugh — but points from Connolly and Cox had the hosts 0-3 to 0-1 ahead early on.

While Sligo responded with points from James Shaughnessy, McKenna and Brian Gallagher, they would go scoreless from the 14th minute until the 38th, as UCC took control of proceedings.

Full-back Jack McGuire was outstanding for UCC, while wing-forward Shaun Keane also impressed and David Harrington popped up with three nice points.

They were 0-9 to 0-4 to the good following a fine David Culhane point, before Shaughnessy ended Sligo’s drought.

The visitors competed well thereafter but UCC always looked to have the winning of the game in their control.

Scorers for UCC: Conor Cox 0-5 (0-4f), David Harrington 0-3, Luke Connolly 0-2 (0-1f), David Culhane, Alan O’Donovan, Éanna Ó Conchúir 0-1 each.

Scorers for IT Sligo: James Shaughnessy 0-4 (0-2f), Daniel McKenna 0-3 (0-2f), Brian Gallagher 0-1.


1. Micheál Martin (Cork)

4. David Culhane (Kerry)
3. Jack McGuire (Kerry)
17. Pádraig O’Connor (Kerry)

5. Conor Dorman (Cork)
19. Brian O’Driscoll (Cork)
7. Tomás Clancy (Cork)

12. Seán Kiely (Cork)
9. Gary O’Sullivan (Kerry)

10. Shaun Keane (Kerry)
11. Luke Connolly (Cork)
26. Éanna Ó Conchúir (Kerry)

13. Thomas Hickey (Kerry)
15. Conor Cox (Kerry)
27. David Harrington (Cork)


23. Alan O’Donovan (Cork) for Kiely (52)
32. Ronan Murphy (Kerry) for Ó Conchúir (52)


1. Alvin McCallig (Mayo)

15. Stephen Doak (Donegal)
3. Daragh McConnon (Sligo)
2. Eoin Flanagan (Sligo)

4. Michael McWeeney (Leitrim)
28. Robert Gorman (Westmeath)
18. Michael Foody (Mayo)

7. Brian Gallagher (Mayo)
9. Shane McManus (Sligo)

6. Eunan Doherty (Donegal)
26. Niall Walsh (Cavan)
12. Cathal Mulryan (Galway)

23. James Shaughnessy (Mayo)
14. Daniel McKenna (Monaghan)
19. Stephen Coen (Sligo)


21. Ciarán Thompson (Donegal) for Walsh (40)
33. Stephen Henry (Mayo) for Gallagher (47)
8. Ray Connolly (Sligo) for Coen (49)
25. Cian Clinton (Leitrim) for Shaughnessy (57)

Referee: Pádraig O’Sullivan (Kerry)

IT Carlow reach first Sigerson semi-final in game delayed after UL player suffers serious injury

Dublin’s McCaffrey stars in attack as UCD set up Sigerson semi-final with DCU

About the author:

Denis Hurley

Read next: