The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 1 °C Wednesday 13 December, 2017
Advertisement

Crystal Palace chairman: 'Giving de Boer more time would have been negligent'

Although Frank de Boer was given only four Premier League games in charge, Steve Parish says he had to swing the axe.

Former Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer.
Former Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer.

CRYSTAL PALACE CHAIRMAN Steve Parish believes it would have been negligent not to sack Frank de Boer, although he understands criticism of the swift decision.

De Boer was given just four Premier League games in charge at Selhurst Park — resulting in four defeats without a goal scored by the Eagles — before he was replaced by Roy Hodgson last week.

And while Parish acknowledged the former Ajax and Inter coach was not given long, he feels it was clear that things were not going to plan.

“Obviously results weren’t good, and I can understand people saying that four games wasn’t enough,” he told Holmesdale Radio.

“But Frank was here from 1 July and, in the end, I didn’t think it was going to work. It could have gone on longer but, if that then produced the outcomes I thought it was going to, that kind of makes me negligent.

“You know what you open yourself up for when you make that change, but I can’t let that make the decision. The decision has to be ‘what is the bigger picture and is this going to improve?’ — and based on two-and-a-half months, not just four games, I didn’t think it would work and I regret that.

“I regret the fact that it didn’t work for Frank or the football club, but I felt I had to make that change.”

Crystal Palace v Southampton - Premier League - Selhurst Park Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish. Source: Steven Paston

Palace took their time to appoint De Boer after Sam Allardyce quit the club at the end of last season, and Parish believes that ultimately worked against the club.

“It was the one we had the most time for and possibly almost agonised over it too much and it kind of became muddled thinking,” he continued.

“Because we took too long, we lost some options as well. It is difficult to talk too much about what went on in that period and the thinking, but Frank impressed me when I met him and we talked a lot about what we were and the time I felt it would take to change.

“It wasn’t because we didn’t think about it; perhaps we thought about it too much and maybe there was a bit of a disconnect about what could be achieved in the time.

“That’s not about spending money, just about the league being very different. What Frank thought he could achieve in a short space of time wasn’t going to happen.”

Paris Saint-Germain defender the victim of video blackmail plot

Wayne Rooney banned from the road for two years after pleading guilty to drink-driving

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (3)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel