NEED TO CATCH up? TheScore.ie brings you a round-up of today’s sports news…
- Brian O’Driscoll is like Pelé? Comparing legends and legacies ahead of the rugby star’s final game.
- Day eight of the Roy Keane to Celtic speculation and Ireland boss Martin O’Neill told us no news was the best news we could hope for.
- Dean Rock is back and scoring. The forward’s club form has cheered up Dublin boss Jim Gavin.
- David Wallace told us that James Coughlan would have stayed at Munster if he believed he had any chance of winning a long-awaited Ireland cap.
- Kevin Doyle partied with QPR after helping them get back to the Premier League but has not heard from Harry Redknapp since.
- Rory McIlroy followed up his opening round of 63 with a score of 43 at The Memorial. The shame was, that score was for the opening nine holes. Rory improved, however, after a dreadful start.
- Chloe Butler is preparing for the Women’s Rugby World Cup after hanging up her lingerie and shoulder pads.
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is sticking around for three more seasons at least — enough time to reach the Champions League for 20 consecutive years.
- ‘The All Blacks would have toured Nazi Germany’ — fighting talk from a Samoan rugby star.
- Carl Froch and George Groves still hate each other’s guts. The pugilists squared up at Wembley ahead of their sell-out bout.
The best thing we shared
The Guardian came up severe trumps today with a fantastic, interactive guide to the World Cup jerseys of every team competing in this year’s tournament.
Interestingly, while Argentina have kept it light blue and white for all 16 of their appearances, Brazil introduced their now famous yellow jersey and blue shorts in 1954 and never looked back. The Germans liked a splash of colour back in the crazy 90s. Blame The Shamen
On the record
I think it’s a year too early for him but in saying that, if the job comes up at Celtic, I don’t think he could knock it back. Especially if you’re No 2; if you were in the job as a No 1 then you might have a doubt.”
– Packie Bonner believes Roy Keane may be off to Glasgow any day now.
Where we were today
The fixture list
- #PRO12 GRAND FINAL Also known as Brian O’Driscoll’s final game of all time, ever. Leinster take on Glasgow Warriors from 6:15pm on Saturday.
- #WORLD CUP 14 friendlies including Ireland versus Italy at Craven Cottage [KO 7:45pm] tomorrow.
- #THE MEMORIAL Round three of The Memorial in Dublin, Ohio and a chance for Rory McIlroy to right some wrongs.
- #NBA San Antonio Spurs and OKC do battle with the Texans 3-2 up.
The next time you are faced with a sudden death penalty kick, see if you have the minerals [C/o Snatch, circa 2000] to replicate this beauty from Maldives’ Ashad Ali Adubarey.
“I’ve dared Brian O’Driscoll to do an end of career Dirty Dancing lift if they win tomorrow but I fear he’s not taking it seriously.”