This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 6 °C Tuesday 11 December, 2018

Richie Power hits 0-6 on happy return to Croker as Carrickshock avenge 2005 defeat

A big win for the Kilkenny side today.

Image: Tommy Grealy/INPHO

Carrickshock (Kilkenny) 2-15

Ahascragh-Fohenagh (Galway) 0-6

Kevin O’Brien reports from Croke Park

RICHIE POWER ENJOYED another All-Ireland success in Croke Park as Carrickshock made up for a defeat at this stage 12 years ago by lifting the All-Ireland intermediate club hurling title.

Eight Carrickshock players who played in that 2005 defeat to Tipperary’s Kildangan featured today as the Kilkenny and Leinster champions cantered to victory.

Power retired from inter-county duty just over a year ago due to a knee injury, but managed to play a full 60 minutes for a second straight game as Carrickshock cantered to a 15-point win.

The slow pace of this game suited Power, who was class personified at centre-forward, scoring six points and winning a penalty which his brother Jamie converted in the first-half.

It was a tough lesson for Ahascragh-Fohenagh, who are returning to Galway senior ranks having only competed there for a single season in 1971. They failed to score for the opening 20 minutes, firing six shots wide in the process and had just 0-2 on the board by the interval.

Goalkeeper Jamie Power’s goal from the penalty pushed Carrickshock into a 1-6 to 0-1 lead in the 23rd minute and from that point they never looked like losing.

John Tennyson with Cathal Mannioin Source: Tommy Grealy/INPHO

Carrickshock, who have been crowned Kilkenny SHC champions seven times in the past, boasted a side with real pedigree. Twelve members of their starting team played in a Kilkenny SHC final just three and a half years ago.

They have multiple former All-Ireland winners in their ranks like John Tennyson, Richie and John Power, John Dalton and Michael Rice. Offaly native David Franks has also big game experience, having played in the 2000 All-Ireland final.

No Galway club has ever won this competition and it was new territory for Ahascragh-Fohenagh, who won the Galway intermediate title for the first time last October after previous defeats in 2012 and 2014.

A number of Ahascragh-Fohenagh players did play in Croke Park before, with Mannion brothers Padraic and Cathal featuring at HQ in the past for Galway, while corner-back Brian Kilroy won an All-Ireland senior club football title with Caltra in 2004.

Cathal Mannion tried hard for the losing team, posting all but one of their six scores.

Ahascragh-Fohenagh operated with Paul Galvin in a sweeper role but they struggled make any impact on the game in the first quarter.

Carrichshock raced out of the blocks into a 0-6 to 0-0 lead inside 16 minutes, with a much slicker attack. Four of their forwards found the target early on, including the Power brothers, Richie and John.

Ahascragh-Fohenagh struggled to find their range and hit six wides before Galway star Cathal Mannion eventually opened their account on 20 minutes.

Darragh Brennan with Paul Gavin Source: Tommy Grealy/INPHO

Richie Power won a penalty in the 23rd minute after Padraic Mannion pulled him down as he was bearing down on goal.

Goalkeeper Power was only converted from an outfield player two years ago and he buried the penalty into the bottom corner to leave the Kilkenny champions 1-6 to 0-2 ahead at the interval.

Carrickshock had the start to the second-half that their opponents needed when Brian O’Donovan found Damien Walsh with a long ball inside, and Walsh rounded Donal Kelly and stroked it home into an empty net.

The Power brothers started to enjoy themselves at the midway point of the second-half, with Richie in particular in outstanding form. John sent over a fine score from the wing before Richie slotted over four points in a devastating 10-minute spell.

Everything Carrickshock struck turned to gold in the second period with Michael Rice, Mark O’Dwyer and Pat Tennyson converting big efforts in the closing stages to put the icing on the cake.

Scorers for Carrickshock: Richie Power 0-6 (0-1f), Damien Walsh 1-1, Jamie Power 1-0 (1-0 pen), Darragh Brennan, Kevin Farrell 0-2 each (0-2f), John Power, Michael Rice, Mark O’Dwyer and Pat Tennyson 0-1 each.

Scorers for Ahascragh-Fohenagh: Cathal Mannion 0-5 (0-3f), Luke Cosgrove 0-1.


1. Jamie Power

2. David Franks
3. John Dalton
4. James Grace

5. John Cahill
6. John Tennyson
7. Niall Tennyson

8. Brian Donovan
9. Michael Rice

10. John Power
11. Richie Power
12. Damien Walsh

13. Kevin Farrell
14. Darragh Brennan
15. Mark O’Dwyer


20. John Butler for O’Donovan (37)
23. Pat Tennyson for Cahill (58)
17. John Murphy for Grace (59)
19. Michael Rohan for O’Dwyer (59)


1. Donal Kelly

2. Brian Kilroy
6. Padraic Mannion
3. John Kelly

4. Paul Galvin

5. JP Egan
9. Laurence Tully
7. John Finnerty

11. Eoghain Delaney
8. Stephen Kelly

17. Luke Cosgrove
13. Cathal Mannion
12. Finbarr Donnellan

14. Ronan Kelly
18. Mark Kelly


15. Shane Connelly for Donnellan (half-time)
20. Eoin O Ceallaigh for Mark Kelly (42)
23. Cathal Cosgrove for Delaney (50)
10. Stephen Smyth for Ronan Kelly (55)
19. Darren Smyth for Finnerty (58)

Referee: Gearoid McGrath (Wexford)

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

As it happened: UCD v St Mary’s Belfast, Sigerson Cup final

Watch the Harty Cup final live: Our Lady’s Templemore v St Colman’s Fermoy

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Kevin O'Brien

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel