This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 7 °C Wednesday 1 April, 2020

Another brace for Maguire, another three points for Cork City and it's now 17 wins from 18 games

Stephen Dooley and Jimmy Keohane were also on the mark for The Rebel Army.

Image: James Crombie; ©INPHO/James Crombie/INPHO

Cork City 4

Limerick 1

Denis Hurley reports from Turner’s Cross. 

ANY FEARS THAT the mid-season break would interrupt Cork City’s momentum have proved unfounded as they made it 17 wins from 18 in the Premier Division at Turner’s Cross on Friday evening.

Seán Maguire scored twice for the Rebel Army, the opener after 24 minutes and then in the opening minute of the second half to make it 3-1. Limerick had responded to initially going behind as Rodrigo Tosi netted a penalty within a minute, but City enjoy by far the greater share of the chances and Stephen Dooley’s fine strike ensured that they led again by half-time.

Limerick did have the first real chance as the game came to life after a slow opening, Chiedozie Ogbene denied by Conor McCormack’s clearance off the line following a corner on 16.

City had a good effort immediately after that, Jimmy Keohane drawing a save from Brendan Clarke. Soon after that, Garry Buckley fired over after Alan Bennett had a header blocked, but they wouldn’t have to wait too long for the opener.

After Maguire and Karl Sheppard linked well, Sheppard’s cross was perfect for the striker to guide the ball beyond Clarke for his 17th league goal. Limerick were level just as quickly though, as Ogbene seized upon a lapse in defence and was tripped by Mark McNulty.

Tosi’s spot-kick was perfect but City pressed again, forcing Clarke into saves. Dooley’s effort was too good for him though, heading for the corner from the moment it left his foot just outside the D on 43 minutes.

Jimmy Keohane celebrates scoring his sides fourth goal Source: James Crombie; ©INPHO/James Crombie/INPHO

Leading at the break, they doubled their advantage straightaway, as Robbie Williams’ backpass was intercepted by Maguire, who rounded Clarke and finished well. They did have to do without defender John Dunleavy though, who was stretchered off.

Paul O’Conor had Limerick’s best chance to make a game of it, firing wide from close range on 73, but Keohane made the game safe late on, with a great curling finish. City finished with ten men as Alan Bennett was forced off too, but McNulty ensured the three-goal lead remained intact, making a brilliant save from Garbhan Coughlan at the death.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Jimmy Keohane, John Dunleavy (Greg Bolger 55), Alan Bennett, Kevin O’Connor; Conor McCormack, Gearóid Morrissey; Karl Sheppard, Garry Buckley (Seán O’Mahony 86), Stephen Dooley (Shane Griffin 81); Seán Maguire.

Limerick: Brendan Clarke; Dean Clarke, Tony Whitehead (Garbhan Coughlan 75), Robbie Williams, David O’Connor, Shane Duggan; Paul O’Conor, Lee Lynch, Bastien Hery (Shane Tracy 86); Rodrigo Tosi, Chiedozie Ogbene.

Referee: Rob Rogers (Dublin).

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Gartland leaves Shamrock Rovers to take up assistant manager role in Scotland

Sligo make second signing of mid-season break as they strengthen attacking resources

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Denis Hurley

Read next: