Horgan: early goal helped the Glen back into the county final (file photo). Ken Sutton/INPHO
Club Action

Glen Rovers book return to Cork SHC final, Erin's Own stun favourites Midleton

In Limerick, Patrickswell set a semi-final date against Kilmallock.

Cork SHC semi-finals

  • Glen Rovers 1-19 Douglas 1-13
  • Erin’s Own 2-13 Midleton 1-15

GLEN ROVERS MOVED a step closer to back-to-back county titles as they booked their place in the Cork senior hurling final on Sunday afternoon.

The Glen ran out six-point winners against Douglas, 1-19 to 1-13, to set up a clash with Erin’s Own.

Patrick Horgan’s early goal had the defending champions ahead by 1-1 to no score after six minutes, and the margin between them at the break was seven, 1-10 to 0-6.

But Douglas burst out of the traps early in the second half and when Mark Collins finished to the net on 37 minutes, Glen’s lead was cut to two.

Alan Cadogan pointed to cut the difference to the minimum but that was as close as Douglas could get.

Earlier on Sunday, Erin’s Own produced a late charge to dump favourites Midleton out by a point, 2-13 to 1-15.

Erin’s Own trailed by a point before Kieran Murphy struck the game’s opening goal with 10 minutes to play.

But two scores by the magnificent Mark Collins, either side of a Brian Hartnett riposte, kept Midleton in the mix before Luke O’Farrell struck a goal to draw them level at 1-13 apiece in the 54th minute.

The next score was always likely to be crucial and it looked to have gone to Erin’s Own courtesy of an Eoghan Murphy free.

But while there was confusion over that disputed score, substitute Cian O’Callaghan struck for the winning goal two minutes from time, stunning Midleton and ending their county challenge.

Limerick SHC quarter-finals

  • Ahane 0-15 Ballybrown 0-15
  • Patrickswell 1-25 Doon 3-15

In Limerick, last year’s beaten finalists Patrickswell set a semi-final date against Kilmallock as they ran out 1-25 to 3-15 winners against Doon.

Playing into the wind in the first half, they led by two points at the break, 0-13 to 1-8.

Thomas O’Brien’s goal on 50 minutes made their progress safe and despite the concession of two late goals to Doon, held on for a four-point win.

Adare must wait to find out the identity of their semi-final opponents after Ahane and Ballybrown played out a 0-15 apiece draw in Sunday’s other quarter-final.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!