Heaney scored 2-2 from midfield. Tommy Dickson/INPHO
Tribes On Top

Heaney inspires Galway to Donegal demolition as they cruise into quarter-finals

Next up on the Tribesmen’s agenda is Kerry.

Galway 4-17
Donegal 0-14

By Daragh Small

JOHNNY HEANEY HAD the game of his life and scored 2-2 as Galway got their campaign right back on track with their first championship victory over Donegal since 1983 at Markievicz Park in Sligo.

Despite being heavy favourites Galway came out on the wrong side of a nine-point hammering against Roscommon in the Connacht final at Pearse Stadium.

And even though they gained promotion to Division 1 as well as beating Mayo for the second successive year already in 2017 the year looked lost.

But Galway were massively impressive while Donegal slumped to a new low and Liam Silke and Danny Cummins also found the net for them.

Galway had Declan Kyne sent-off and Cathal Sweeney got a black card but Donegal suffered three black cards and a missed penalty as they limped out of the championship.

Damien Comer with Neil McGee and Kieran Gillespie Damien Comer in action. Tommy Dickson / INPHO Tommy Dickson / INPHO / INPHO

Donegal made a poor start and Galway capitalised with points from Sean Armstrong and Shane Walsh. Micheal Murphy hit back and tied things up but this game was decided in the second-quarter when Galway were rampant.

Heaney fisted home their first goal in the 18th minute after Ian Burke and Armstrong combined in the build-up.

The second goal came via a penalty five minutes later after Tom Flynn was brought down by goalkeeper Mark Anthony McGinley. McGinley was black-carded for that.

Galway pushed for home before half-time and Heaney scored his second goal just before the break for a 3-9 to 0-7 half-time lead.

Donegal missed their chances on the resumption and after they used all six substitutions Michael Murphy (44th minute) and Martin McElhinney (48th minute) both got black cards.

Michael Daly with Michael Murphy Michael Murphy was dealt a black card. Tommy Dickson / INPHO Tommy Dickson / INPHO / INPHO

Galway had Declan Kyne sent-off for a second yellow card but at that stage they were 3-13 to 0-10 ahead with just 16 minutes remaining.

In the 59th minute McBrearty missed a penalty and Galway goalkeeper Bernard Power also saved the rebound before Cummins fired a late fourth goal for Galway.

Scorers for Galway: J Heaney 2-2, S Armstrong 0-6 (0-4f), L Silke 1-0 (1-0 pen), D Cummins 1-0, G O’Donnell 0-2, S Walsh 0-1, P Conroy 0-1, I Burke 0-1, D Comer 0-1, E Brannigan 0-2, M Daly 0-1.

Scorers for Donegal: P McBrearty 0-6 (0-2f), M Murphy 0-4 (0-3f, 0-1 45), M O’Reilly 0-2, M McElhinney 0-1, M Langan 0-1.


16. Bernard Power (Corofin)

2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
3. Declan Kyne (Clonbur)
4. Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)

5. Gary O’Donnell (Tuam Stars)
6. Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
7. Liam Silke (Corofin)

8. Paul Conroy (St James’)
10. Tom Flynn (Athenry)

9. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
11. Micheal Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
23. Sean Armstrong (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

22. Ian Burke (Corofin)
14. Damien Comer (Annaghdown)
15. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)


17. David Wynne (Moycullen) for Sweeney (60, black card)
12. Eamonn Branningan (St Michael’s) for Walsh (60)
13. Danny Cummins (Claregalway) for Daly (63)
25. Michael Meehan (Caltra) for Comer (68)
18. David Walsh (Killannin) for Bradshaw (72)
19. Cillian McDaid (Monivea/Abbey) for O’Donnell (72).


1. Mark Anthony McGinley (St Michael’s)

4. Caolan Ward (St Eunan’s)
6. Kieran Gillespie (Gaoth Dobhair)
3. Neil McGee (Gaoth Dobhair)

7. Eoghan Ban Gallagher (Killybegs)
5. Ryan McHugh (Cíll Chartha)
2. Paddy McGrath (Ardara)

8. Jason McGee (Cloughaneely)
14. Michael Murphy (Glenswilly)

19. Mark McHugh (Cill Chartha)
12. Eoin McHugh (Cill Chartha)
11. Frank McGlynn (Glenfin)

17. Jamie Brennan (Bundoran)
15. Hugh McFadden (Killybegs)
13. Patrick McBrearty (Cill Chartha)


16. Peter Boyle (Aodh Ruadh) for McGinley (25)
22. Michael Langan (St Michael’s) for Brennan (35)
21. Martin McElhinney (St Michael’s) for McGlynn (36)
18. Karl Lacey (Four Masters) for Gillespie (half-time)
9. Ciaran Thompson (Naomh Conaill) for McFadden (42)
10. Martin O’Reilly (Seán MacCumhaill’s) for E McHugh (42).

Referee: Anthony Nolan (Wicklow).

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Cork on the hunt for a new football boss after Healy steps down

Cillian O’Connor kicks 11 points as Mayo scrape past Cork after extra-time

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.