Why are we asking you to sign in? Find out more here
By continuing, you are indicating that you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy .
Why are we asking you to sign in? Find out more here
By continuing, you are indicating that you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy .
Haye rules out Ukraine bout amid racism fears
BRITAIN’S DAVID HAYE said Tuesday he would not be fighting Vitali Klitschko in Ukraine because of death threats he has received from ‘crazy racists’ there.
Haye wants to fight WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko after losing his WBA crown to Klitschko’s younger brother Wladimir in Hamburg last year.
But the 31-year-old said that he was only prepared to box in Germany, where the Klitschko brothers normally fight, and not in Ukraine.
He continued: “He (Vitali) promised many times that he could fight me, beat me by KO but that’s rubbish.
“Wladimir Klitschko said the same thing and didn’t knock me out in 12 attempts. I’m too fast, sexy and talented to be impressed by a big, slow robot from Ukraine.”
Haye lost the WBA title on points against Vladimir Klitschko in July 2011, in only the second defeat of his career.
He had also talked of hanging up his gloves but got back in the ring on July 14, beating compatriot Dereck Chisora in London.
But Haye is convinced that a bout with Vitali is “the only heavyweight fight that everyone wants to see”.
The elder of the Klitschko brothers is head of the opposition UDAR party and is currently on the campaign trail after successfully defending his WBC title against Germany’s Manuel Charr on September 8 in Moscow.
- © AFP, 2012
Read: Injured Rafa Nadal has not picked up a tennis racket in three months>
Read: Ryder Cup is labour of Love for team USA>
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
David Haye Dereck Chisora fears Manuel Charr Racism staying away Ukraine Vitali Klitschko