Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 5°C Friday 25 September 2020

Kerry v Clare - All-Ireland SFC qualifier round four

Jack O’Connor’s men brutally disposed of The Banner County but the victory was tempered by the dismissal of Paul Galvin.

Kerry's Colm Cooper and Kevin Harnett of Clare.
Kerry's Colm Cooper and Kevin Harnett of Clare.
Image: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

KERRY will be in the draw for the All-Ireland Football Championship quarter-finals after a 2-22 to 1-06 win over Clare.

Clare were too defensive in the first half but their caution did not pay dividends as Kerry scored often and showed no mercy throughout.

The result was spoiled, however, when Paul Galvin received his marching orders with 20 minutes remaining. Reputation may have preceded the decision against Galvin but it was a rash and needless challenge on John Hayes that earned him a second yellow card.

The first scoring opportunity of the game fell to Clare but the 30 metre effort drifted wide. Kerry then took the lead when Marc Ó Sé pointed well.

Ger Quinlan levelled the scores with a long range attempt but Clare were soon indebted to the bravery of their goalkeeper, Joe Hayes, who did fantastically to smother out a goal chance.

A Bryan Sheehan free on nine minutes edged Kerry in front once again and Declan O’Sullivan increased the lead after fine approach play from Galvin.

Blanket defence with holes

The Banner County, as they did against Cork earlier in the championship, were often operating with 13 and 14 men behind the ball in the first half. It might have been a wiser option to push forward and try to take advantage of the strong wind that was in their favour in the opening 35.

David Tubridy pulled a score back for Clare but Sheehan added to his tally to restore the two-point difference.

Ger Quinlan got in behind Sheehan after 19 minutes to add a point and keep Kerry in sight but the intensity was raised before the break.

Colm Cooper had a sighter of goal but opted, wisely, to fist over the bar. Donnchadh Walsh added another point after some great scrambling near the end-line by Kieran Donaghy.

James O’Donoghue was the next Kerryman to join the party as he broke well and soared the ball over the bar. Sheehan then scored his third free of the half to make it 0-8 to 0-3 after 26 minutes.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Donaghy got a score after fine work from Cooper and O’Donoghue blazed over for an extra when the goal was at his mercy. Donnchadh Walsh set up Anthony Maher for the final point of the half, making it 0-12 to 0-3, and Clare were reeling.

Bad to worse

With the wind at Kerry’s back, Clare knew they would have a battle to stay close as the second half contest got underway.

Banner woes were added to after Galvin scored his first point of the game and Cooper registered another score. Sheehan then judged a 60-metre free to perfection to make it 0-15 to 0-3 after 40 minutes.

It soon went from bad to worse when O’Donoghue blasted home a goal that all but ended the tie as a meaningful encounter.

Donaghy was not yet finished running amok in the Clare backline as he set up Cooper for another point and there were further scores from O’Donoghue and O’Sullivan with 20 minutes still remaining on the clock.

Galvin spoiled a commanding outing when he was sent off for a reckless challenge, not far from a clothesline on defender Hayes, that led to a brief melee. David Tubridy added a point from the resulting free.

There was a glimmer of hope provided by Clare when sub David Russell netted and followed up with a point but Donaghy and Cooper combined again for the final blow.

The Gooch had the simple task of tapping in after a high ball had goalkeeper Hayes in trouble. He added a point soon after to become the highest championship scorer of all time.

Kieran O’Leary came off the bench to add to a one-sided scoreline and Donaghy got his third point as Clare’s All-Ireland challenge was emphatically ended.

Final score: Kerry 2-22 – Clare 1-06.

CLARE: Joe Hayes (Lissycasey); Kevin Harnett (Meelick), Barry Duggan (Cratloe), Laurence Healy (Ennistymon); Enda Coughlan (Kilmurry-Ibrickane), Gordon Kelly (St Joseph’s Milltown-Malbay), John Hayes (Kilrush Shamrocks); Gary Brennan (Clondegad), Ger Quinlan (O’Curry’s); Shane Brennan (Clondegad), Shane McGrath (Thomas Davis), Alan Clohessy (Liscannor); Rory Donnelly (Cooraclare), David Tubridy (Doonbeg), Michael O’Shea (St Senan’s Kilkee).
KERRY: Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin); Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore), Shane Enright (Tarbert); Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht), Eoin Brosnan (Dr Crokes), Killian Young (Renard);  Anthony Maher (Duagh), Bryan Sheehan (St Mary’s); Paul Galvin (Finuge), Declan O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses), Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane); James O’Donoghue (Legion), Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes),  Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks).

As it happened: Tipperary v Down, All-Ireland SFC round four qualifier

As it happened: Laois v Meath, All-Ireland SFC qualifier

About the author:

Patrick McCarry

Read next: