Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 11°C Monday 10 May 2021

McGrath Cup: Kerry set for final meeting with Tipperary

The Kingdom and the Premier will clash in the decider after both claimed semi-final victories yesterday.

Darran O'Sullivan found the net for Kerry yesterday.
Darran O'Sullivan found the net for Kerry yesterday.
Image: INPHO/Lorraine O'Sullivan

Kerry 3-17
Limerick 1-11

Eamonn Fitzmaurice continued his winning start as Kerry manager with a comprehensive semi-final success over Limerick in Killarney.

James O’Donoghue was the scoring star for Kerry and he helped set the tone by notching two of the points that propelled Kerry into an early 0-3 to 0-1 lead.

Kerry started without the trio of Marc Ó Sé, Aidan O’Mahony and Paul Geaney due to a series of enforced pre-match changes but it did not weaken their challenge.

Darran O’Sullivan raced through for their first goal before half-time and then O’Donoghue added their second to leave them in front by 2-7 to 0-6 at the break.

Limerick got an early boost in the second-half when an Ian Ryan pointed free was followed by a Darragh Treacy goal after good work by Seamus O’Carroll created the move.

That left Limerick only adrift by 2-7 to 1-7 but Kerry upped the gears considerably and O’Donoghue’s second goal, which left it 3-10 to 1-8, essentially finished off the match.

James O’Donoghue 2-5, Darran O’Sullivan 1-1, Barry John Keane, Mikey Geaney 0-3 each, Michael O’Donoghue, Bryan Sheehan 0-2 each, Patrick Curtin 0-1.
Limerick: Ian Ryan 0-6, Darragh Treacy 1-0, James O’Meara, Lorcan O’Dwyer, John O’Riordan, Danny Neville, Derry O’Connor 0-1 each.

Tipperary manager Peter Creedon. Pic: INPHO/Lorraine O’Sullivan

Tipperary 1-12
Waterford 2-8
(After extra-time)

An extra-time goal by Barry Grogan proved crucial in enabling Tipperary to eventually stave off the challenge of Waterford in Sean Treacy Park in Tipperary Town.

Grogan, who also netted the previous week against Cork in the quarter-final, popped up with the critical score in a game where Tipperary were forced to work hard for success.

Points from Tony Grey and Paul Whyte put Waterford into a 0-2 to 0-0 lead by the 17th minute as their defence frustrated Tipperary’s efforts to grab scores.

However Grogan inspired Tipperary’s response as he kicked points to help them lead 0-4 to 0-3 at the interval. Tipperary continued to make headway in the second-half with 2011 All-Ireland minor winning captain Liam McGrath amongst their point-scorers.

Yet they were rocked by a Waterford goal from Paul Whyte of Kilrossanty and Tipperary needed to scramble to force a draw at the end of full-time – 1-7 to 0-10.

In extra-time they managed to move in front through Grogan’s goal and held on to qualify for next weekend’s final against Kerry.

About the author:

Fintan O'Toole

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel