©INPHO/James Crombie
pon de replay

Dublin triumph over Wexford in stormy affair

Anthony Daly’s side now face a a provincial semi-final meeting with Kilkenny next Sunday.

Dublin 1-17
Wexford 0-12

ANTHONY DALY’S DUBLIN made no mistake against 14-man Wexford in this evening’s Leinster SHC quarter-final replay at Parnell Park.

The Sky Blues cruised to an eight-point victory to set up a provincial semi-final meeting with Kilkenny next Sunday, at O’Moore Park in Portlaoise.

Wexford, meanwhile, will regroup for a crack at Antrim on home soil at Wexford Park in next Saturday’s qualifier.

It’s debatable what is the better route to go as Wexford will face Carlow if, as expected, they account for the Saffrons.

Dublin will start as rank outsiders against the All-Ireland champions but Daly will be hoping his side can give a better account of themselves this year against the Cats, after they were hosed by 18 points in the 2012 Leinster semi-final.

Dublin, playing with the aid of a strong wind in the first half, had established a 1-9 to 0-4 interval lead this evening, in front of an estimated 7000 attendance.

And they also had the added advantage of an extra man from the seventh minute, when Wexford centre back Andrew Shore was sent off.

Shore, who had a running battle with Ryan O’Dwyer in last Saturday evening’s drawn encounter at Wexford Park, was dismissed by referee Brian Gavin for a wild pull on the Dublin forward as the pair contested a dropping ball.

That incident sparked a mass brawl and when calm finally descended, Wexord full-back Tomas Waters and Dublin attacker Conor McCormack were also booked.

And two minutes before half-time, Garrett Sinnott was was yellow-carded for what looked like a similar challenge to the one that saw Shore sent off. Before half-time, Richie Kehoe’s name also entered Gavin’s notebook, with O’Dwyer on the receiving end of an off-the-ball hit.

When players weren’t hopping off each other, there was some hurling played and while Dublin were content with their eight point half-time lead, despite hitting some needless wides.

Wexford managed just a point from play in the first half – with Paul Ryan contributing 1-5 for the hosts before the interval.

Ryan netted in the 13th minute, with Conal Keaney providing the defnce splitting pass.

Keaney’s diagonal ball from midfield eluded Wexford corner back Eoin Moore and Ryan pounced from close range.

Wexford, to their credit, battled to the end but it was a poor evening for the Slaneysiders, who lost corner back Keith Rossiter to injury in the warm-up. The long-serving defender was replaced by Bobby Kenny.

After half-time, Dublin remained in the ascendancy, leading by ten points before stepping off the gas in the closing stages.

Gary Maguire denied Garrett Sinnott a goal with a brilliant hook ten minutes after half-time and three minutes before the end, Ryan whistled a shot inches wide as he went in search of a second goal. The Ballyboden St Enda’s attacker, recalled to the starting line-up, finished as Dublin’s leading marksman with a haul of 1-9. Jack Guiney hit five pointed frees for the Model County but was less influential than last weekend.

Scorers for Dublin: Paul Ryan 1-9 (0-8f, 0-1 65), J McCaffrey, C Keaney & D Treacy 0-2 each, P Kelly & D Sutcliffe 0-1 each.

Scorers for Wexford: J Guiney 0-5f, G Sinnott & P Morris 0-2 each, H Kehoe, R Jacob & P Doran 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: Gary Maguire (Ballyboden/St Enda’s); Niall Corcoran (Kilmacud Crokes), Peter Kelly (Lucan Sarsfields), Paul Schutte (Cuala); Stephen Hiney (Ballyboden St Enda’s), Liam Rushe (St Patrick’s, Palmerstown), Michael Carton (O’Tooles); John McCaffrey (Lucan Sarsfields, captain), Joseph Boland (Na Fianna); Conal Keaney (Ballyboden St Enda’s), Ryan O’Dwyer (Kilmacud Crokes), Danny Sutcliffe (St Jude’s); Paul Ryan (Ballyboden St Enda’s), David Treacy (Cuala), Conor McCormack (Ballyboden St Enda’s).

Subs: Shane Durkin (Ballyboden St Enda’s) for P Schutte (half-time), David O’Callaghan (St Mark’s) for McCormack (43), Simon Lambert (Ballyboden St Enda’s) for Rushe (60), Mark Schutte (Cuala) for Treacy (63), Niall McMorrow (Ballyboden St Enda’s) for Sutcliffe (67).

WEXFORD: Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown); Eoin Moore (Oulart-the-Ballagh), Tomas Waters (St Martin’s), Bobby Kenny (Buffers Alley); Richie Kehoe (Faythe Harriers), Andrew Shore (Parnells – Dublin), Ciaran Kenny (Buffers Alley); Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn), Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers); Gareth Sinnott (Oulart-the-Ballagh, captain), Eoin Quigley (Sarsfields – Cork), David Redmond (Oulart-the-Ballagh); Rory Jacob (Oulart-the-Ballagh), Jack Guiney (Rathnure), Paul Morris (Ferns).

Subs: PJ Nolan (Askamore) for Quigley (42), Podge Doran (Oylegate-Glenbrien) for Redmond (42), Michael O’Regan (Glynn-Barntown) for H Kehoe (64), Gary Moore (Glynn-Barntown) for Jacob (70).

Referee: Brian Gavin (Offaly).

Lucky 13: Questions for Dublin hurler Danny Sutcliffe

5 talking points before this weekend’s Leinster SHC action

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.