This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Saturday 25 January, 2020
Advertisement

Chinese blogger 'sorry' for Federer death threat

An internet user under the name “Blue Cat Polytheistic Religion Founder 07″ threatened the tennis player.

Roger Federer practices as he is guarded by body guards yesterday.
Roger Federer practices as he is guarded by body guards yesterday.
Image: Eugene Hoshiko/AP/Press Association Images

A BLOGGER IN China who made a death threat against Roger Federer said he had apologised but remained at large after vowing to “assassinate” the world number one, according to an internet posting.

An internet user under the name “Blue Cat Polytheistic Religion Founder 07″ threatened the tennis player before he arrived to play, prompting organisers to step up security for the Shanghai Masters, which started on Sunday.

“I have not been arrested,” said a posting on China’s popular baidu.com site, where the original threat also appeared. ”I took the initiative to contact the relevant people to apologise,” said the message, which was posted yesterday.

The original threat read: “On October 6, I plan to assassinate Federer for the purpose of tennis extermination.”

The user also posted a doctored image showing a decapitated Federer on his knees on a tennis court, with an axe-wielding executioner standing next to him. Shanghai Masters organisers said last week ahead of the competition that they were taking the bizarre threat “seriously” while Federer himself labelled it a “distraction” after arriving in the Chinese commercial hub.

“Obviously maybe it’s a little bit of a distraction, there’s no doubt about it,” Federer said Sunday. ”It was something just very small on a website, nothing clear and concrete, people just debating.”

Federer’s wife and twin daughters have not travelled to China but he said that decision had nothing to do with the threats.

Federer has been surrounded by a dozen security guards in dark suits who also stayed on the sidelines around the court when he practised on Tuesday. His first match is today.

A Shanghai police spokesman on Wednesday declined to comment on the case. In 1993, former world number one Monica Seles was stabbed by a fan during a match in Hamburg.

NFL bounty scandal: New Orleans bans eased

‘Gangnam Style’ hits South Korean GP

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS