This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Saturday 4 July, 2020
Advertisement

Sepp Blatter resigns as Fifa president

Blatter was only re-elected to the role last week.

Image: Adam Davy/PA Wire/Press Association Images

SEPP BLATTER HAS announced he is to resign as Fifa president.

In a hastily arranged news conference today, Blatter stated that Fifa needed “profound restructuring” after a week of scandal and arrests engulfed world football’s governing body.

Blatter who has been president since 1998 — winning a fifth term just last week — stated that Fifa would hold an extraordinary congress where a new president would be elected.

However, despite last week’s comprehensive victory, the 79-year stated he does not believe he has the full support of all Fifa’s members.

Speaking in French, Blatter said:

“I have been reflecting deeply about my presidency and about the forty years in which my life has been inextricably bound to Fifa and the great sport of football. I cherish Fifa more than anything and I want to do only what is best for Fifa and for football.

“I felt compelled to stand for re-election, as I believed that this was the best thing for the organisation. That election is over but Fifa’s challenges are not. Fifa needs a profound overhaul.

“While I have a mandate from the membership of Fifa, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football – the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at Fifa.

“Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as Fifa President until that election.”

Any congress to elect a new president is not expected to take place before October this year.

More to follow…

Fifa admits controversial $10m payment – but says Blatter’s right-hand man was not involved

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Steve O'Rourke

Read next:

COMMENTS (195)