Dublin: 13°C Saturday 23 October 2021

McMillan's strike enough to give Stephen Kenny's Dundalk victory on return to league action

The Lilywhites are four poinst clear at the top of the League of Ireland.

McMillan continued his goalscoring form.
McMillan continued his goalscoring form.
Image: Ken Sutton/INPHO

Wexford Youths 0
Dundalk 1

A SOLITARY GOAL from David McMillan ensured Dundalk made a winning return to SEE Airtricity League Premier Division action with a 1-0 victory away to Wexford Youths.

David McMillan’s goal before half time was the difference between the sides, with the home side seeing Peter Higgins red carded in the second half as they tried in vain to get something from the game.

The Youths had the first effort at goal just shy of the 10th minute but Jonny Bonner’s curling free kick drifted wide of Gary Rogers and his far post.

The home side went close again two minutes later as Peter Higgins, Shane Dunne and Andy Mulligan linked up before the ball dropped to Dunne on the edge of the Dundalk area, but his rasping shot drifted just wide of Rogers’ goal.

Dundalk tested home keeper Graham Doyle on 18 minutes through John Mountney. Captain Stephen O’Donnell hooked the ball toward the edge of the area and Mountney’s left footed strike forced Doyle into an awkward, low save to keep out the strike.

But Dundalk finally made their possession count as half time approached. Youths’ midfielder Shane Dunne saw his attempted strike from midway through the Dundalk half deflect off Mountney and into the path of David McMillan.

Peter Higgins is sent off by Robert Harvey Peter Higgins is given his marching orders. Source: Ken Sutton/INPHO


He charged toward goal, held off the attention of the retreating Conor O’Keeffe before firing left-footed across Doyle into the bottom corner.

The second half started with little in the way of chances on goal but three yellow and one red card saw the home side reduced to 10 men. Midfielder Peter Higgins, booked in the first half for a foul on Mountney, saw a second yellow and subsequent red card shown after a challenge on Sean Gannon on the half-way line as Dundalk broke.


Get closer to the stories that matter with exclusive analysis, insight and debate in The42 Membership.

Become a Member

The visitors looked to make their numerical advantage count as Gannon made good ground down the right but Ronan Finn’s header from the cross went wide of Doyle’s goal. Substitute Patrick McEleney was next to try his hand but he couldn’t find a way past Doyle in the Youths goal.

The Youths went for broke in the final ten minutes and pressed for the leveller but couldn’t find a way past a resolute Dundalk defence, who make a winning return to league action.

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle; Craig McCabe, Lee Grace, Stephen Last, Aidan Friel (Eoin Porter 81); Conor O’Keeffe (Eric Molloy 66), Peter Higgins, Jonny Bonner, Andy Mulligan; Shane Dunne; Aidan Keenan.

Dundalk: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland, Andy Boyle, Shane Grimes; John Mountney (Dean Sheils 73), Ronan Finn, Stephen O’Donnell, Robbie Benson (Patrick McEleney 68), Darren Meenan (Chris Shields 88); David McMillan.

Referee: Rob Harvey

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Two Irish defenders join Blackburn in wake of Shane Duffy’s departure

Everything you need to know about Dundalk’s Europa League opponents

About the author:

Read next: