©INPHO/Donall Farmer Billy Dennehy celebrates after scoring Shamrock Rovers' second goal.
League of Ireland

Airtricity League round-up: Cork collapse, Rovers trump Roddy

Shamrock Rovers, St Pat’s and Derry City all maintained their 100% records on a busy night in the top flight.

SHAMROCK ROVERS NEEDED to come from behind to maintain their 100% start to the season with a 3-1 win at home to Roddy Collins’ Monaghan United.

Willo McDonagh gave Monaghan an unlikely lead in the fourth minute, but after disappointing in the first half, Rovers worked their way back into the game in the second.

Killian Brennan got his first goal in green and white when he flicked home the equaliser in the 56th minute, before Billy Dennehy put Rovers in front with an early contender for goal of the season six minutes later.

Monaghan were reduced to 10 men when Darragh Reynor was sent off for a second yellow in the 71st minute. Aaron Greene made sure of all three points with his first competitive goal for the Hoops in injury time.

In Turner’s Cross, Drogheda United spoiled Cork City’s return to top-flight football when they came from two goals down to win 3-2.

City got off to the best possible start when Daryl Horgan volleyed past Gabriel Sava from the edge of the area in the 13th minute. Tommy Dunne’s men stretched their advantage just after the half-hour mark as scorer turned provider, Horgan whipping in a cross for Vinny Sullivan to flick home.

But City’s second stung Drogheda into a response and Tiernan Mulvenna was on hand in the 40th minute to halve the deficit.

Peter Hynes equalised from the spot in the 53rd minute before Cork’s evening took another turn for the worse with the sending off of Shane Duggan.

Cork’s misery was complete in the 73rd minute when Gavin Kavanagh headed past Mark McNulty into his own goal.

Shelbourne took the the spoils from the first Dublin derby of the new season when they beat Bohemians 2-0 in Dalymount Park. Goals from Paddy Kavanagh and Philly Hughes in either half gave the Drumcondra side their first win the Premier Division since 2006.

In the Carlisle Grounds, a first-half blitz helped Derry City to a 4-0 win against Bray Wanderers. The visitors opened the scoring in the 14th minute when Patrick McEleney’s free-kick was touched into the net by Stewart Greacen, and doubled their advantage when David McDaid outfoxed Darren Quigley with a cheeky finish.

Quigley was controversially sent off in the 34th minute when referee Anthony Buttimer deemed him guilty of a professional foul. Patterson got Derry’s third from the resulting penalty and completed the rout in the 67th minute when he finished a fine flowing move.

A goal in either half ensured that St Patrick’s Athletic made it two wins from two, as they beat Dundalk 2-0 in Oriel Park. Stephen O’Flynn put the Saints one up in the 11th minute following great work by Greg Bolger and Dean Kelly.

Bolger was at the heart of Pat’s second as well, playing in John Russell to finish past Peter Cherrie in the 53rd minute.

In the First Division, Waterford United bounced back from last week’s capitulation against Wexford Youths with a shock 3-1 win against Limerick.

Wexford continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 1-1 draw away to SD Galway at Terryland Park.

Airtricity League LIVE: Bohemians v Shelbourne

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.