BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 5°C Saturday 5 December 2020
Advertisement

Arsenal make bid for prolific Lyon striker

The Gunners are attempting to recruit a striker this summer, with Alexandre Lacazette a target.

Alexandre Lacazette (file pic).
Alexandre Lacazette (file pic).

ARSENAL HAVE MADE a bid for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, according to the French club’s president Jean-Michel Aulas.

The Gunners have been linked with a number of marquee striker additions this summer, and have now turned their attentions to the 26-year-old.

However, Aulas maintains that Lacazette will stay, after negotiations with Spanish club Atletico Madrid fell through.

Alexandre Lacazette was told he could leave. We had negotiations with Atletico,” he told reporters. “Things did not work out. We now have a very nice offer from Arsenal. But for us he will not leave.”

Aulas has previously invited an offer from PSG for Lacazette, having taken the stance that he would rather sell the striker to a domestic rival than sanction a move to England.

I know Nasser suggested to Noel Le Graet [president of the French Football Federation] that he is not investing that much in French players because he thought other presidents of French clubs looked badly upon it,” he told France Football earlier this week.

“I want him to know that if he makes an offer for Alexandre at least equal to that of the other clubs bidding for him, then Alex can go to Paris without problem.

I am a businessman and a modern club president. Transfer money must be reinvested into French football, as I always did when we were at the peak of our powers.

“When transfer money is shared abroad, it strengthens our competitors instead.”

Lacazette scored 37 goals in 45 appearances for Lyon in the 2016-17 season.

Meanwhile, French champions Monaco have secured the signing of 20-year-old full-back Jordy Gaspar from Lyon, the principality club announced on Friday.

Gaspar has agreed a three-year deal with Monaco and becomes the club’s second signing of the close season following the arrival of Belgian midfielder Youri Tielemans.

The transfer could pave the way for the departure of either Benjamin Mendy or Djibril Sidibe, with both France internationals in high demand after helping Monaco end Paris Saint-Germain’s four-year reign in Ligue 1.

Gaspar has played for France at U19 and U20 level and will link up with his new teammates at the start of July.

Additional reporting by AFP

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Claudio Ranieri returns to management in France>

Man Utd confident of completing deal for Real Madrid’s Morata>

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (7)