Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 7°C Monday 12 April 2021

Patterson strikes late for Derry to force Cup semi-final replay with Shamrock Rovers

Dean Kelly looked to have grabbed the winning goal but the Northerners rallied and equalised with just 3 minutes left.

A LATE RORY PATTERSON goal means Shamrock Rovers and Derry City will have to do it all again on Tuesday night after their FAI Cup semi-final ended in a draw at Tallaght Stadium.

Derry could have been in front after just three minutes when Patrick McEleney sent Michael Duffy through on goal, but his shot was well saved by Barry Murphy.

Rovers quickly settled after that, however, and Simon Madden was proving to be their best attacking outlet down the right side.

The former Derry player sent in several teasing crosses inside the opening quarter of an hour, but Ryan McBride and Aaron Barry dealt with the threat.

David O'Connor and Stephen Dooley David O'Connor shadows Stephen Dooley during Shamrock Rovers' semi-final clash with Derry City. Source: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Duffy, who was seeking his third FAI Cup goal this season, had the games next big chance from a similar position as his first, but once again Murphy saved.

The visitors may not have had as much possession in the opening half, but when they had the ball they moved it about with purpose, and the front four of Barry McNamee, Patterson, Patrick McEleney and Duffy always looked dangerous.

Rovers on the other hand were predictable in the first half, but a lively start from them after the interval saw both Finn and Brennan send inviting crosses into the Derry six-yard box.

The game went flat for a period after that, but the introduction of Dean Kelly for Karl Sheppard just after the hour mark proved to be a crucial one.

Ronan Finn and Phillip Lowry Rovers' Ronan Finn tries to close down Phillip Lowry of Derry City Source: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

He bagged the all-important opening goal with 12 minutes left to play when he poked home Madden’s delivery from the right.

That goal sparked huge celebrations around Tallaght Stadium, but the home crowd were stunned into silence with just three minutes left when Rory Patterson found the bottom corner from a Mark Timlin corner-kick.

And the visitor’s could have booked their place in the final in injury-time when Patterson set up Duffy, but Murphy saved brilliantly low to his left.

SHAMROCK ROVERS: Murphy, D O’Connor, Kenna, McGuinness, Madden, McPhail, Cregg, Brennan (Waters 75), S O’Connor (McCabe 85), Sheppard (Kelly 63), Finn.

Substitutes: Hyland, Byrne, Robinson, McCabe, Kilduff, Waters, Kelly.

DERRY CITY: Doherty, Jarvis, Molloy, McBride, McNamee, McEleney, Patterson, Duffy, Lowry, Dooley (Timlin 75), Barry.

Substitutes: Gallagher, McEleney. Boyle, Tracey, Houston, Timlin, Curran.

St. Pat’s secure their place in the FAI Ford Cup final after a thumping win over Finn Harps

Saints skipper O’Brien wants ‘another crack’ at Derry in FAI Cup final

About the author:

Simon Walsh

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel