Athlone Town win after week in the spotlight while table-toppers Waterford drive on

The league leaders beat Shels at home.

THE FAI TODAY said they were ‘widening’ their investigation into irregular betting patterns on games involving Athlone Town.

Officials from the association will meet with players and staff at the Frist Division club on Monday.

Tonight though, the players put that to one side to see off Cobh Ramblers 2-1 at home.

Christophe Rodrigues opened the scoring after 47 minutes from a penalty.

Ramblers were then reduced to 10 men when skipper Chris McCarthy was dismissed for a professional foul.

Rodrigues added insult to injury by scoring from the subsequent free kick. The visitors pulled one back late on through Matthew Whelan.

At the top of the table, Waterford kept up their march towards the title with a one-nil win over Shelbourne.

Mark O’Sullivan scored this header ater 19 minutes:

Visitors Shelbourne had the first chance of the game inside the opening minute when Dayle Rooney tried his luck with a speculative strike from 30-yards but his effort whistled inches over the crossbar of Waterford goalkeeper Matthew Connor.

The keeper produced a good save to deny Shelbourne after 12 minutes. Jack Tuite played the ball back into the path of Mark Hughes from the right, but his effort was saved at the near post.

Waterford took the lead with their first attack after 19 minutes. Daly sent over a corner kick from the left that found the head of striker O’Sullivan and he powered an unstoppable header past keeper Delany from six yards.

The Blues could have doubled their lead when David McDaid broke clear down the right, but he failed to spot the breaking, untracked run of O’Sullivan and a good chance was lost.

Delany came to his Shelbourne’s rescue midway through the second period with a brilliant low save from Mark O’Sullivan’s strike after Garry Comerford’s long throw caught the Shelbourne defence napping.

The resulting corner saw Waterford go close again with Daly’s corner finding the head of substitute Jack Lynch but his powerful header flew just wide of the far post.

The home side forced Delany into another save as the minutes pushed on; Kenny McEvoy playing in Shane O’Connor but Delany made a great save at the near post.

Shelbourne had a good chance with just one minute left on the clock to grab an equalising goal; Aaron Ashe breaking forward and striking from the edge of the penalty area but Waterford substitute Conor Whittle got back to make a vital block to ensure the Blues returned to the summit of the league table.

Elsewhere, in the evening’s other game in the division, UCD ran out 2-0 winners over Wexford Youths thanks to second-half goals from Georgie Kelly and Jason McClelland.

Pickford suitors Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City warned Sunderland will be ‘expensive sellers’

Asafa Powell, Justin Gatlin and Andre De Grasse all out-classed in the Diamond League

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.