This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 16 °C Saturday 17 August, 2019
Advertisement

Formula One announcement sparks unrest in Bahrain

The FIA’s decision to go ahead with next week’s Bahrain Grand Prix has triggered a renewal of hostilities between riot police and anti-government protestors.

Image: Hasan Jamali/AP/Press Association Images

VIOLENCE ERUPTED IN Bahrain between police and protesters on Friday, hours after Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone declared the Gulf nation safe to host a grand prix next week.

All 12 teams told Ecclestone on Friday they were happy to travel to the tiny kingdom despite the ongoing political unrest and no extra safety precautions.

Speaking from Shanghai ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix, Ecclestone says he knows people “that live there and it’s all very quiet and peaceful.”

However, firebombs were hurled Friday by some protesters. They were chanting anti-government slogans, and riot police fired tear gas and bird shot to clear the crowds. Several people were injured by the bird shot pellets.

Last year, race organizers canceled the grand prix after an outbreak of violence.

– AP

Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead – FIA

Schumacher tops Shanghai practice

Mark Your Card: your best bets for Day 3 at Aintree

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (7)