Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 7°C Thursday 24 September 2020

54-point thriller in Ardee, while Meath, Offaly, Laois and Kildare triumph

It was a busy night of GAA action with Round 2 of the Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Football Championship taking place.

Meath celebrate at the final whistle.
Meath celebrate at the final whistle.
Image: Patrick O'Connor/INPHO

IT WAS A busy night of GAA action, with Round 2 of the Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Football Championship taking place.

At Pairc Tailteann, Meath narrowly overcame Dublin, with a final score of 1-13 to 2-8.

Dublin went ahead in the early stages, with a Luke Swan goal among the early scores.

However, Meath recovered well — Bryan McCormack’s goal helped his side earn 1-7 to 1-4 half-time lead.

The Royal county pulled further away in the second half, before Dublin threatened a comeback, with another Swan goal bringing them within three points of their rivals.

But the hosts ultimately held firm to seal a hard-fought victory.

At Bord na Mona O’Connor Park, Offaly beat Westmeath 1-12 to 1-9, with the hosts responding well after finding themselves down 1-7 to 1-5 at half-time.

The result is a second win on the trot for Offaly, who overcame Wicklow in the first round, while Westmeath remain without a victory, having lost to Meath in their first game.

Meanwhile, in what was comfortably the highest scoring game of the evening, an 11-goal thriller finished all square, with Louth’s 6-9 not enough to defeat Wicklow, who registered 5-12.

A late goal from Eoin Darcy appeared to have won it for Wicklow, before further drama ensued, as Ryan Walsh’s last-gasp free earned a draw for his team.

Elsewhere, Wexford lost at home to Laois, with the final score 0-11 to 2-3.

Laois led by 0-7 to 0-2 at half-time, and though Wexford improved towards the end, with Jack Finucane getting a goal, it proved too little too late.

Finally, at Netwatch Cullen Park, Carlow were well beaten by Kildare, 0-2 to 1-13.

A second-half Aaron Kennedy goal helped the visitors secure a comfortable victory and make it two wins from two, after they overcame Wexford in the opening round.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

‘It’s just like go out and have a huge fight, and run until you can’t anymore’>

Tierney no longer involved in U20s set-up as O’Connell remains in assistant coach role>

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel