Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 4°C Tuesday 13 April 2021

Fired-up Tribesmen bring Cork's 100% record to an end

Stephen Folan equalised for Galway United as the sides shared a point apiece at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Stephen Folan was on target for Galway (file photo).
Stephen Folan was on target for Galway (file photo).
Image: Tommy Dickson/INPHO

Galway United 1
Cork City 1

John Fallon reports from Eamonnn Deacy Park 

RUNAWAY LEADERS CORK City surrendered their magnificent winning start to the season when they were held by a fired-up Galway United side in a cracking contest at Eamonn Deacy Park.

It was no more than Galway deserved after a battling performance as they became the first side to take points off Cork City this season.

Cork knew from early in the game that they would have to dig deep if they were to extend their superb winning run to 13 games.

Indeed, Galway were unfortunate not to be in front at the break as they created the better chances of an entertaining opening half.

Kevin Devaney set the tempo with a couple of early efforts as Shane Keegan’s men pushed forward from the outset.

But it was Kevin O’Connor who came closest to breaking the deadlock after 10 minutes when his free from the edge of the box seemed destined for the top left corner until Conor Winn got a hand to it to turn it around the post.

Galway, bidding to extend their unbeaten league run to six, twice went close to taking a shock lead midway through the half.

Padraic Cunningham flashed a glancing header just wide from a Marc Ludden cross after 26 minutes and then ex-Cork play Gavan Holohan had a cracking shot turned away for a corner by Mark McNulty.

The game exploded into action in the third quarter, with Cork hitting the front after 59 minutes when Conor McCormack flashed a low shot to the net via a deflection from Stevie Folan.

But Folan made amends in less than a minute when he headed the equaliser with a looping header from a free from midfield by Conor Horgan.

Both had chances to win it after that with Jimmy Keohane coming close to snatching it three minutes from time but he blasted over from close range.

GALWAY UNITED: Conor Winn; Gary Shanahan, Lee Grace, Stephen Folan, Colm Horgan; Ronan Murray, Gavin Holohan, Alex Byrne, Kevin Devaney (Jesse Devers 93), Marc Ludden; Padraic Cunningham.

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; Steven Beattie (Alan Bennett ’67), John Dunleavy, Ryan Delaney, Kevin O’Connor; Gearóid Morrissey (Jimmy Keohane ’43), Conor McCormack; Karl Sheppard, Garry Buckley, Stephen Dooley; Seán Maguire.

Referee: Robert Harvey (Dublin).

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

‘Every League of Ireland club is a couple of bad decisions away from going out of football’

‘I wanted something new with Bray, next year we can challenge for the title’

About the author:

John Fallon

Read next: