This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 8 °C Thursday 28 May, 2020

2015 Kerry senior football finalists exit championship today at Round 3 stage

Paul Geaney starred in Dingle’s victory last night as Austin Stacks also triumphed.

James O'Donoghue's Killarney Legion side bowed out today.
James O'Donoghue's Killarney Legion side bowed out today.
Image: Cathal Noonan/INPHO

Updated 7.20pm

LAST YEAR’S KERRY senior football finalists Killarney Legion have exited this year’s championship after a 3-12 to 2-12 defeat in Round 3 this afternoon against Kerins O’Rahillys.

In a game played at Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney, Kerins O’Rahillys made all the running from the start and were in front 1-9 to 0-3 at the interval with Barry John Keane striking their goal.

John Ferguson raised their second green flag in the 44th minute to push them 2-12 to 0-5 in front and when Ferguson hit the net again in the 51st minute, they looked out of sight with a 3-12 to 0-8 advantage.

Legion mounted a last-ditch attempt to salvage themselves as they hit 2-4 without reply. The goals came from Mike O’Sullivan and Kevin Breen but Kerins O’Rahillys survived. James O’Donoghue hit 0-4 as Killarney Legion departed.

The curtain-raiser today saw Rathmore defeat St Kieran’s by 1-18 to 0-20 after extra-time. The crucial goal arrived in extra-time for Rathmore courtesy of attacker Mark Reen.

They were in front 1-17 to 0-15 at the midway mark of extra-time and held off a St Kieran’s scoring spree to triumph.

Aidan O’Mahony looked to have notched the winning point in normal time for Rathmore but goalkeeper Sean Óg Ó Ciardubháin struck the levelling score for St Kieran’s to leave it 0-13 apiece at the end of normal time.

Paul Geaney Paul Geaney starred for his club Dingle last night. Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO

Last Sunday’s Munster senior football final man-of-the-match Paul Geaney was key in helping Dingle book a Kerry senior football quarter-final place last night.

Geaney hit the net twice – one goal in either half – and finished with a 2-3 tally that matched his exploits in Fitzgerald Stadium for Kerry last Sunday, as Dingle ran out 2-13 to 1-11 victors over Milltown-Castlemaine in their Round 3 tie at Austin Stack Park.

Source: Pat Duffy/YouTube

Dingle trailed 1-7 to 1-5 at the break but turned it around to win by five points with another Kerry senior Mikey Geaney contributing 0-5 for the West Kerry side.

At the second game at the Tralee venue, 2014 Kerry senior champions Austin Stacks advanced to the last eight stage with a 0-21 to 1-13 success over divisional team West Kerry.

Kieran Donaghy bagged 0-2 for an Austin Stacks team whose top scorers were David Mannix (0-5) and Daire O’Brien (0-3).

Sean Micheál Ó Conchúir – part of Kerry’s recent Munster junior title winning team – fired 1-7 for West Kerry.

Source: Pat Duffy/YouTube

The quarter-final line up has now been completed:

Quarter-finalists: Dr Crokes, Kenmare District, Mid Kerry, South Kerry, Dingle, Austin Stacks, Rathmore, Kerins O’Rahilly’s.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Late goal sees Wexford beat Cork, Offaly go top and Dublin’s last gasp draw against Tipp

‘John was a hero. Great character and great craic. It’s a huge sadness’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Fintan O'Toole

Read next: