Derry City's Rory Patterson (file pic). INPHO/Presseye/Lorcan Doherty 
Candy Crush

Derry win in Wexford to move a step closer to a third FAI Cup final in 5 years

The Candystripes had to come from behind at Ferrycarrig Park.

Wexford Youths 1

Derry City 3

DERRY CITY CAME from behind to advance to the FAI Cup semi-finals after a deserved 3-1 win against Wexford Youths in Ferrycarrig Park tonight.

Eric Molloy had given the home side an early lead before Rory Patterson levelled on the stroke of half-time. The visitors made their pressure count in the second half, with goals from Lucas Schubert and Barry McNamee ensuring their progression and a place in the last four.

The Youths started brightly and took the lead after just six minutes. Jonny Bonner won possession in midfield and found Paul Murphy on the left. His through ball picked out the run of Eric Molloy from the right and he raced clear to fire low past Derry City goalkeeper Ger Doherty.

Ben Doherty fired wide for the visitors before Ronan Curtis’ left wing-cross found Lucas Schubert at the back post, but he couldn’t find the back of the net with with Graham Doyle making a smart save.

The visitors had plenty of the ball thereafter but rarely troubled Youths keeper Doyle. Barry McNamee forced a comfortable save from Doyle before Ben Doherty fired over the crossbar.

The Candystripes kept the pressure on and Niclas Vemmelund headed wide from Schubert’s cross as they continued to have most of the possession.

Deery made their pressure count just before half-time as Rory Patterson levelled the tie. Conor McDermott made a great run from right-back and played the ball to Patterson inside the Youths area. He controlled and turned before firing past Doyle via a deflection from Youths defender Gary Delaney.

Wexford Youths missed a huge chance to regain the lead after just 12 seconds of the second half. Eric Molloy found space down the right and his cross reached the head of the unmarked Paul Murphy, but he sent the ball over the crossbar.

The visitors looked to turn the game on its head as McDermott’s cross found Patterson who chested the ball into the path of McNamee inside the area, but his strike couldn’t find a way past Doyle.

But Derry did make their pressure count midway through the second half as they took a deserved lead. Aaron McEneff’s free-kick from outside the area found the bottom of the post and rebounded back to Schubert. His header was well saved by Doyle but he followed up to fire Derry into a 2-1 lead.

Shane Keegan’s side could have levelled when Aidan Keenan’s cross from the left found Molloy at the back post but he blasted over the crossbar, before Derry sealed their progression into the semi-finals when McNamee progressed inside the Youths area to fire low past Doyle inside the near post.

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle; Aidan Friel, Gary Delaney, Lee Grace, Craig McCabe; Shane Dunne (Andy Mulligan, 74), Jonny Bonner, Chris Kenny (Peter Higgins, 82), Eric Molloy; Aidan Keenan; Paul Murphy.

Derry City: Ger Doherty; Conor McDermott, Niclas Vemmelund, Dean Jarvis, Ben Doherty; Aaron McEneff (Keith Ward, 88), Conor McCormack; Lucas Schubert (Nathan Boyle, 88), Barry McNamee, Ronan Curtis (Josh Daniels, 64); Rory Patteron.

Referee: Anthony Buttimer.