Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 9°C Friday 23 October 2020

Vinny Faherty brace moves Galway up to third

Tommy Dunne’s side are enjoying a superb start to this year’s league campaign.

Vinny Faherty celebrates a goal (file pic).
Vinny Faherty celebrates a goal (file pic).
Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

Updated at 00.04

Wexford Youths 0-2 Galway United

A BRACE FROM Vinny Faherty sent Galway United into third place in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division after a 2-0 win against Wexford Youths in Ferrycarrig Park.

After a scoreless first half, Faherty gave Tommy Dunne’s side the lead heading home from Ryan Connolly’s free kick after the restart, before the two combined midway through the second half to seal the 2-0 win.

The home side got off to a flying start and could have taken a second-minute lead through winger Andy Mulligan. Striker Paul Murphy controlled the ball in the middle of midfield before his through ball set Mulligan away down the left, but Galway United keeper Conor Winn was on hand to make a vital save.

Vinny Faherty came close at the other end in a frantic start to the game. Quick thinking from Marc Ludden on the left saw his long throw set Faherty through on goal, and he forced Graham Doyle into a smart low save, with Danny Ledwith on hand to hook the dropping ball off the line.

Faherty had another good chance when he met Ryan Connolly’s deep free kick, but the striker couldn’t get enough on his header to test Doyle in the Youths goal. Paul Murphy saw his lob over United keeper Winn drop just over the crossbar at the other end, before Padraic Cunningham forced Doyle into a good save just prior to the break.

The deadlock was finally broken five minutes into the second half and it was a goal of real simplicity. Chris Kenny fouled Stephen Walsh in midfield, and Ryan Connolly’s pinpoint, left-footed free kick found the head of the unmarked Vinny Faherty, who made no mistake heading past Doyle to make it 1-0.

Doyle kept his side in the game midway through the second period with a save of real class. Youths defender Stephen Last blocked Faherty in front of goal, before Cunningham’s low drive forced Doyle into a superb one-handed low save with the ball destined for the bottom corner

Galway United made their second-half pressure count, though, as they doubled their lead through Faherty. In an almost carbon copy of the striker’s first goal, Ryan Connolly’s free kick from midfield found Faherty and he headed past Doyle from inside the Wexford Youths penalty area to seal the three points.

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle, Craig McCabe, Gary Delaney, Stephen Last, Danny Ledwith; Aidan Friel (Conor Whittle 79), Eric Molloy, Chris Kenny, Jonny Bonner, Andy Mulligan; Paul Murphy.

Galway United: Conor Winn, Colm Horgan, Stephen Folan (Kilian Cantwell 23), Paul Sinnott, Stephen Walsh; Gary Shanahan, John Sullivan, Ryan Connolly, Mark Ludden; Padraic Cunningham (Ruairi Keating 85), Vinny Faherty.

Referee: Adriano Reale

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

With a 100% record and 10 points clear, Limerick are absolutely tearing up the First Division

UCC Diaspora FC aiming for London FA Junior Cup glory

About the author:

Brendan White

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel