The42 uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 12 °C Sunday 25 June, 2017
Advertisement

Here’s our first look at the injury that postponed the Lee v Saunders title fight

Billy Joe Saunders shared a photo of the cut, which required 10 stitches.

THE DISAPPOINTING NEWS broke yesterday that WBO middleweight champion Andy Lee’s title defence against Billy Joe Saunders had been postponed for a second time after the challenger suffered a cut while sparring.

Their original fight was set to take place on the 19 September in Thomond Park but it was scrapped last month when Lee picked up a virus. The fight was then moved to 10 October at the Manchester Arena as part of an exciting world title triple-header but an unfortunate injury has scuppered plans once again.

Saunders has taken to Twitter today to apologise to the fans and to his opponent but promised a new date will be announced soon. He also shared a photo of the injury, which required 10 stitches.

Promoter Frank Warren said he now hopes the fight can take place in late November at a date and venue to be confirmed, with Lee hinting that it could be in London.

There is still a chance Lee, who hasn’t boxed since April when he drew on points with Peter Quillin in a non-title bout, could feature in another non-title bout if Saunders is told his cut won’t be healed until by late November or early December.

Originally published at 11.45am

Read: One of Ireland’s most popular fighters has been added to the UFC Dublin card

Read: ‘It’s a pretty serious cut’: Andy Lee speaks about postponed Saunders fight

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel