This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Tuesday 25 September, 2018
Advertisement

Newcastle agree reported €16 million deal for Jonjo Shelvey

The England international has completed his move to the Magpies from Swansea.

Jonjo Shelvey has joined Newcastle.
Jonjo Shelvey has joined Newcastle.
Image: Jan Kruger

NEWCASTLE UNITED HAVE completed their second signing of the transfer window, with midfielder Jonjo Shelvey joining from Swansea City on a five-and-a-half-year contract.

Shelvey has been an important figure for the Swans since arriving from Liverpool in July 2013 but has failed to hold down a regular place in Alan Curtis’ first-choice XI in recent weeks, having previously fallen from favour under Garry Monk prior to his sacking in December.

The 23-year-old started Sunday’s 3-2 FA Cup defeat at Oxford United but was involved in a verbal altercation with a supporter after the final whistle.

Shelvey underwent a a medical on Tyneside on Tuesday after Newcastle agreed a fee believed to be in the region of £12 million (€16 million) to sign him.

Shelvey has made over 80 appearances for Swansea, with his form leading to an England recall for the 6-0 win over San Marino in September 2015.

And with the European Championship looming large at the end of the season, Curtis said at the weekend that the former Charlton Athletic man was eager to remain in the thoughts of national team coach Roy Hodgson.

Curtis said: “He wants first-team football. It is a big season, coming up into the Euros. We can’t quite guarantee him first-team football at the moment.”

Shelvey follows Senegal midfielder Henri Saivet, who signed from Bordeaux on Monday, into St James’ Park.

The pair will be expected to bolster a Newcastle midfield which has looked short on quality since the departure of Yohan Cabaye to Paris Saint-Germain in January 2014.

Ireland World XI features Luis Suarez but not Neymar>

Stephen Hunt took the initiative on his move to Coventry>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:

COMMENTS (25)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel