RONDA ROUSEY’S LONG-AWAITED UFC comeback was as short as it was miserable.
Amanda Nunes retained her bantamweight title in sensational fashion at UFC 207 overnight, stopping Rousey in just 48 seconds and leaving the once-invincible champion looking like a shell of her former self.
The Brazilian landed her first big right hand within seconds of the opening bell and, as she teed off with Rousey backed up on the fence, referee Herb Dean had no option but to step in and wave off the fight.
“(Rousey) had her time, she did a lot for the sport,” Nunes said afterwards.
“I thank Ronda Rousey. But right now, I showed I’m the champion and I’m here to stay.”
The fight was Rousey’s first since losing her title to Holly Holm in a shock defeat 13 months ago, with this second straight loss already raising questions about the future for the woman who was once one of the UFC’s most bankable stars.
“Now she’s going to retire and go to movies and make a lot of money now,” Nunes said.
“You have lots of talent in this division. Forget about Ronda Rousey.”
A crowd of over 18,500 was in the T Mobile Arena in Las Vegas where earlier in the night, another shock saw Cody Garbrandt crowned the new men’s bantamweight champion.
The rising star stunned champion Dominick Cruz, beating him by unanimous decision and handing Cruz his first loss in almost 10 years.
Garbrandt dominated the middle rounds, dropping Cruz in the third and then scoring four more knockdowns as he pressed for the finish in a one-sided fourth round.
The champion survived to the bell but the judges saw it unanimously in 25-year-old Garbrandt’s favour.
UFC 207 – Results
- Amanda Nunes def. Ronda Rousey TKO (R1, 0:48)
- Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz UD (48-46, 48-47, 48-46)
- T.J. Dillashaw def. John Lineker UD (30-26 x 3)
- Dong Hyun Kim def. Tarec Saffiedine SD (27-30, 29-28 x 2)
- Ray Borg def. Louis Smolka UD (30-27, 30-26 x 2)
- Neil Magny def. Johny Hendricks UD (29-28 x 3)
- Antonio Carlos Junior def. Marvin Vettori UD (29-28 x 3)
- Alex Garcia def. Mike Pyle KO (R1, 3:34)
- Niko Price def. Brandon Thatch SUB (R1, 4:30)
- Alex Oliveira vs. Tim Means NC (illegal knees)
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!