This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 9 °C Friday 5 June, 2020

Corcoran nets twice as Bohemians defeat Derry to set up FAI cup semi-final with Cork City

Dan Casey also scored as Bohemians triumphed at Brandywell.

Bohemians Dan Casey celebrates scoring his side's first goal with teammates.
Bohemians Dan Casey celebrates scoring his side's first goal with teammates.
Image: Lorcan Doherty/INPHO

Derry City 1
Bohemians 3

Simon Collins reports from Brandywell

BOHEMIANS SET UP a semi-final clash with FAI Cup holders, Cork City after dumping EA Sports Cup champions, Derry City out of the competition at Brandywell tonight.

It was the third win on the road for Bohs in the cup and they thoroughly deserved their victory – a second win on Foyleside this season.

Dan Casey put the Gypsies into a deserved lead just two minutes before the interval and Dinny Corcoran added a second just short of the hour mark. Derry striker, Ally Roy pulled one back for the home side on 63 minutes and substitute, Adrian Delap somehow missed from close range with two minutes of the tie remaining.

Bohs striker Corcoran sealed the win and the Dubliners’ passage into the last four clash with the Rebels on Sunday 30 September when he slotted in the 93rd minute.

It was the third away victory for this resurgent Bohs side in the competition having previously got the better of First Division sides, Wexford and Galway and they will enjoy home advantage as they take on Cork at Dalymount.

Kenny Shiels had made two changes for the visit of the Gypsies with Gavin Peers replacing Dan Seaborne at the heart of the defence while Ally Roy returned at the expense of Aaron Splaine who dropped to the bench.

For Bohs, Darragh Leahy passed a pre-match fitness test having struggled with a groin injury and he came in for Paddy Kirk in the only change from the team which defeated Cork.

Bohs dominated the ball early on but Derry carved out the game’s first chance on 11 minutes. Aaron McEneff evaded the challenge of Dan Casey before spreading it wide on the right to Ronan Hale but from a tight angle his shot was turned behind at the near post by Shane Supple.

Gerard Doherty was called into action on 16 minutes when Keith Ward found Casey’s run at the back post as the defender spun away from the City defence and his header back across goal needed to be punched clear by the City keeper.

City left-back Kevin McHattie lost his footing allowing Daniel Kelly in behind the home defence on 20 minutes and onto the end of Corcoran’s pass but the winger dragged his shot wide of the far post.

It was a real let-off for the Candystripes and Kevin Devanney tested the reflexes of Doherty five minutes later with a 30 yard drive and City keeper parried it behind for a corner.

Leahy’s glancing header from Devaney’s corner kick dropped narrowly wide of Doherty’s left hand post with seven minutes remaining in the half.

Kevin Devaney and Derry's Gavin Peers Bohemian's Kevin Devaney and Derry City's Gavin Peers. Source: Lorcan Doherty/INPHO

Peers conceded a needless corner kick on 43 minutes and Devaney’s delivery was headed downward and into the net by Bohs’ centre-half Casey as the Dubliners took a deserved lead into the break.

Derry keeper, Doherty produced an outstanding reaction save to palm away Corcoran’s close range volley eight minutes into the second half to keep his side in the tie.

The home side were riding their luck but Casey should’ve done better from a free header when Keith Ward found him in space from another Bohs corner.

At the other end Peers rose highest from McEneff’s corner and headed goalwards but Supple comfortably gathered.

Bohs added a second on the counter just before the hour mark as Kelly raced down the right flank before finding Corcoran in acres of space through the middle and the striker coolly slotted past Doherty from 12 yards.

Derry hit back four minutes later as Jamie McDonagh raced down the wing before sending a searching ball across the face of goal and Roy tapped in at the back post. Bizarrely that was Roy’s last contribution as he was replaced by teenager Adrian Delap which was met by a chorus of boos from the home support.

Bohemians fans ahead of the game Bohemians fans ahead of the game. Source: Lorcan Doherty/INPHO

Ronan Hale’s dipping effort on the half volley from 20 yards was acrobatically turned over the crossbar by the fingertips of Supple on 74 minutes as Derry desperately searched for an equaliser.

Kelly had a chance to seal the win on 88 minutes when JJ Luney sent him clean through on goal but Doherty came out to claim the ball at his feet. Substitute Delap had a glorious chance to clinch a replay in the final minute when he got onto the end of McDonagh’s cross but somehow hit the Bohs keeper with his effort from three yards.

And then Corcoran slotted into the empty net in the third of five minutes of additional time after Doherty had saved superbly from Kelly to send Bohs into the semi-finals.

Derry City: G. Doherty: J. McDonagh, D. Cole, G. Peers, K. McHattie; Ronan Hale, A. McEneff, R. Hale, B. Fisk (N. Low 64); D. Shiels (S. McNamee 82); A. Roy (A. Delap 64). 

Bohemians: S. Supple; D. Pender (R Cornwall 70), D. Casey, I. Morris, D. Leahy; D. Kelly (E. Stokes 94), K. Buckley, JJ Luney, K. Devaney, K. Ward (O. Brennan 76); D. Corcoran.

Referee: Robert Harvey (Dublin)

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Simon Collins

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel