BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 15°C Thursday 29 October 2020
Advertisement

Charlton fan receives his season ticket after agreeing not to criticise the club on social media

The club also claim they had a ‘constructive’ meeting with the fan about his behaviour inside the stadium.

There are expected to be further protests from fans of the League One club throughout the season.
There are expected to be further protests from fans of the League One club throughout the season.
Image: EMPICS Sport

A CHARLTON ATHLETIC fan has been provided with his season ticket after apologising for his abusive behaviour towards the club on social media.

The fan was issued with the below letter from the League One side, stating that he must agree not to post “derogatory or inflammatory comments” about the club on any social media platform, and that he must sign an ‘Agreed Behavioural Contract’ in order to collect his season ticket.

The letter stated that: “We have identified that certain comments placed on social media websites by yourself have been not particularly constructive.

“Whilst we recognise that everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion it is not helpful when inflammatory comments are posted on such websites.

“The granting of your season ticket will be ‘conditional’ and subject to you receiving an ‘Agreed Behavioural Contract’, which will request that you refrain from posting derogatory or inflammatory comments regarding the club of people representing the club in the future on any social media websites.”

On the club’s official website Charlton confirmed that the letter was only sent to one supporter and after offering an apology, he did not need to sign the contract.

“The club can confirm that they sent a letter to one supporter relating to their continued inappropriate behaviour towards members of staff on Charlton’s official social media accounts and foul and abusive language captured on stadium cameras.

“No other letters have been sent to supporters. A letter was sent to this individual as it was relating to a particular set of circumstances.

“During the meeting, the level of abuse, which the individual has since voluntarily removed from their Twitter account, was discussed,” the statement continued.

“The club also discussed the video footage, after which the individual apologised on several occasions for his behaviour and assured the club that he would not continue to engage in an abusive manner.

“The meeting ended amicably and, as he appeared sincere in his apology, the club handed the individual his 2016/17 season ticket and he was not asked to sign an Agreed Behavioural Contract.”

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

Speaking to the Guardian the fan has since hit back at the club.

“I’ve been gobby, but that’s nothing unusual for football fans and was nothing that anyone else hadn’t said on Twitter,” the unnamed fan said.

“They said I was being inflammatory, but inflammatory is inciting violence or hate; all I’ve been saying is we want our club back. I wasn’t going to put it online – my friend put it up, but it needs to be out there, how they’re destroying the club that we all love.”

“I expected to walk in there, they’d have the contract laid out and that would be it,” he said. “I said I didn’t want the meeting to be mentioned, but they’ve [made it public] now regardless. I was going to take the contract away and take legal advice, but instead they gave me a telling off.

“I apologised for whatever was said, but at the end of the day they shouldn’t be sending these sort of letters. I am sorry, but I haven’t signed any conditions. I said I wanted to record the conversation so it was clear what had been said, but they said no.

“I don’t care what they do now. I’ve had enough of the club and how they’ve tried to treat me, and every other supporters. Let them do what they’ve got to do. I can still travel to away games. They can’t ban me from away games – I haven’t committed a criminal offence.”

Since Roland Duchâtelet took over the running of the club, Charlton have changed manager six times, and were relegated from the Championship last year, with fans of the Addicks holding several protests over his management of the club.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Join The42’s Premier League Fantasy Football League using this code: 1822511-443420

Soccer Republic debate between Kerr and the FAI felt like a 0-0 draw

Blow for Martin O’Neill as injury-plagued Irish attacker set for another spell on the sidelines

About the author:

Shane Costello

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)