Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 9°C Wednesday 12 May 2021

Cork make no mistake second time around to reach first FAI Cup semi-final in 8 years

Three second-half goals were enough to finally see off Derry.

Image: Donall Farmer/INPHO

Cork City 3

Derry City 0

AN FAI CUP semi-final clash with Bray Wanderers awaits Cork City after they produced a strong finish to see off Derry City in their quarter-final replay at Turner’s Cross tonight.

Extra time looked like it might be required for long periods as neither side could find an opening, but once Ross Gaynor opened the scoring with a belter for Cork, they pushed on to what is a first last-four appearance since 2007, when they last won the trophy.

It was a game lacking a spark for much of the first-half, evident by the fact that the most entertaining instance of the opening 20 minutes was the replacement of a faulty corner flag.

The hosts had half-chances from Mark O’Sullivan and Garry Buckley before Gaynor forced an opening, his shot saved and O’Sullivan’s follow-up was kept out by Dean Jarvis on the line.

Another Derry defender, Ryan McBride had to be alert to deny O’Sullivan on 36 while Michael McSweeney also went close for Cork but at half-time it remained scoreless.

John Caulfield’s side upped the tempo upon the restart, but clear-cut chances remained at a premium.

It took until the hour for them to register a real opportunity, Buckley shooting wide after good work by Dennehy and then Derry threatened to go ahead themselves.

Dan Murray with Ryan McBride Ryan McBride and Dan Murray challenge for the ball. Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO

First, Philip Lowry had a low shot from 20 yards which came back off the post before Mark McNulty saved from Cillian Morrison. Then, McSweeney’s good challenge denied Lowry before the home side found their touch.

Gaynor opened the scoring on 74 with a 30-yard screamer after first Sheppard and then Miller had done well, a challenge on Buckley sending the ball towards the left-back.

Four minutes later, Buckley headed Billy Dennehy’s free kick home and then, late on, sub John O’Flynn made it three when he dinked over Gerard Doherty.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Michael McSweeney, Dan Murray (Alan Bennett 76), Darren Dennehy, Ross Gaynor; Liam Miller, John Dunleavy; Karl Sheppard (Kevin O’Connor 86), Garry Buckley, Billy Dennehy; Mark O’Sullivan (John O’Flynn 76).

Derry City: Gerard Doherty; Rob Cornwall, Ryan McBride (Ben McLaughlin 76), Aaron Barry, Dean Jarvis; Ryan Curran (Mark Timlin 61), Aaron McEneff (Stephen Dooley 61), Philip Lowry, Barry McNamee, Patrick McEleney; Cillian Morrison.

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).

– First published 21.56, 14 Sept

Tributes paid to Grand Slam winner and Ireland’s oldest surviving football international

Liverpool treading water as Brendan Rodgers desperately tries to stay afloat in the deep end

About the author:

Denis Hurley

Read next: