This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 14 °C Thursday 9 July, 2020

Five-star Dundalk cruise past Crumlin Utd and into last eight of FAI Cup

Former Rangers midfielder Dean Shiels was among the goal scorers for the Lilywhites.

Dean Shiels celebrates his first goal for Dundalk.
Dean Shiels celebrates his first goal for Dundalk.
Image: Tommy Dickson/INPHO

Crumlin United 0

Dundalk 5

NEW SIGNING DEAN Shiels was among the scorers as Dundalk comfortably progressed to the last eight of the FAI Cup by seeing off Crumlin United 5-0 at Oriel Park.

The former Rangers midfielder struck just before half-time to add to early goals from captain Chris Shields and Paddy Barratt. Michael O’Connor scored in the second half before Shields added another late on.

Stephen Kenny saw this game as an opportunity to give some of his younger squad members some game time. Teenagers Georgie Poynton, Carlton Ubaezuono, Ciaran O’Connor and his brother Michael started.

New signings Alan Keane and Shiels — both 31 — brought the average age of the Lilywhites side back up a little. Republic of Ireland call-up Gary Rogers was on the bench ahead of his national team involvement this week.

It took just eight minutes for Dundalk to hit the front against their Leinster Senior League opponents. Ciaran O’Connor left full-back Ian Coone behind on the right and his cross fell for Shields who swept an unstoppable shot past Crumlin goalkeeper Stephen Conlon from just outside the area.

With Crumlin having come out of the draw as the designated home side before a switch of venue to Oriel, Dundalk lined out in their black away kit. Throughout the first half, they were red hot and looked like extending their lead every time they ventured forward.

Dundalk’s second arrived on 25 minutes via a striker’s finish from centre-back Paddy Barratt. Robbie Benson floated a clever ball over the top for Barratt to run on to, he controlled and his left-foot shot went in off the post.

Just before the break, Shiels’ debut goal put Dundalk out of sight. A superb ball by Ubaezuono was dummied by Ciaran O’Connor and the new man side-footed home.

Chris Shields celebrates his goal with Shane Grimes and Carlton Ubaezuono Dundalk's Chris Shields celebrates a goal with Shane Grimes and Carlton Ubaezuono. Source: Tommy Dickson/INPHO

In the second half, Michael O’Connor headed in Alan Keane’s cross shortly before Chris Shields scored a first career double when he met Ubazeuono’s left-wing cross on 78 minutes. An injury to Benson was Kenny’s only worry on the night.

This was the first game at Oriel Park in seven weeks — since the first game of Dundalk’s European odyssey against FH — and the first domestic action on the Carrick Road for even longer. The goal glut sent the sizeable FAI Cup crowd home happy.

CRUMLIN UNITED: Stephen Conlon; Carl Forsyth, Ian Coone, Noel Murray, Ciaran Kenna (Stephen Kelly, 71); Brian Mooney, Daniel Kelly (Daniel McGuinness, 60), Luke Kelly, Dean Hurley (Noel Commins, 81); Conor Murphy, Alan McGreal.

DUNDALK FC: Gabriel Sava; Georgie Poynton, Paddy Barratt, Alan Keane, Shane Grimes; Chris Shields, Robbie Benson (Brian Gartland, 58), Ciaran O’Connor (Keith Dalton, 70), Dean Shiels (Sean Gannon, 80); Carlton Ubaezuono, Michael O’Connor.

Referee: Robert Rogers (Dublin).

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

New campaign but familiar problems for Martin O’Neill and Ireland

Hull are proving to be absolute masters of this deadline day stuff

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Read next: