Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 10°C Wednesday 21 October 2020

Saints cancel out early Patterson goal at the Brandywell

St Patrick’s Athletic and Derry City played out a 1-1 draw in the Premier Division tonight.

Derry goalscorer Rory Patterson with David Cawley of St Pat's.
Derry goalscorer Rory Patterson with David Cawley of St Pat's.
Image: Presseye/Lorcan Doherty/INPHO

Derry City 1

St Patrick’s Athletic 1

ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC midfielder Keith Tracey’s first half equaliser ensured the Saints left Brandywell with a fourth point from two tricky away trips in the space of five days.

The midfielder’s 24-minute goal cancelled out Rory Patterson’s tenth strike of the season.

The Candystripes were in control of the match after Patterson’s tenth-minute goal but Aaron McEneff carelessly gave the ball away and allowed the Inchicore club to break quickly for the equaliser.

Lucas Schubert struck the crossbar for the home side while Gerard Doherty made three fantastic saves to deny Christy Fagan, Sean Hoare and Billy Dennehy.

Derry City boss Kenny Shiels was forced into a defensive reshuffle in the absence of his two injured centre halves — skipper Ryan McBride and Aaron Barry.

And it was a shaky start by the home side. Ger O’Brien raced down the right flank on six minutes and cut the ball back to Conan Byrne free 16 yards from goal but his shot went over the bar.

Aaron McEneff tried his luck at the other end from just outside the Pat’s penalty area and his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

From the short corner, Daniels crossed towards McEneff but his cushioned header was gathered cleanly by Brendan Clarke.

The home side were warming to the occasion and broke the deadlock on 10 minutes following a sublime move. Barry McNamee unlocked the Saint’s defence with a beautifully crafted pass and Patterson drilled the ball into the far corner.

St Pat’s came so close to hitting back 60 seconds later after a mistake by Derry’s makeshift centre half Harry Monaghan but Billy Dennehy sent his low shot the wrong side of the post.

Derry’s Austrian midfielder Schubert then struck the underside of the crossbar with a well executed strike after a neat back-heel by Daniels.

McEneff came so close to adding a second for the Candystripes following a sustained period of pressure on the St Pat’s defence but his shot went wide of the mark.

And it was the same player who needlessly gave away possession just inside the Saints half on 24 minutes. When Mark Timlin raced through on the break, the ex-Derry City man found Tracey in space and he buried his shot low past Gerard Doherty.

Fagan the got onto the end of a long punt upfield and his shot on the half volley had to be palmed behind by Doherty.

From the resulting corner, Tracey whipped in an inviting cross and Sean Hoare, at full stretch, directed his shot towards goal and Doherty saved superbly at point blank range with his standing foot.

Doherty came to his side’s rescue once again five minutes before the break when Monaghan diverted Conan Byrne’s cross into the path of Christy Fagan.

However, the striker’s tame shot from close range was saved by the feet of the Derry keeper.

Rory Patterson celebrates scoring with teammates The Derry players celebrate Patterson's goal. Source: Presseye/Lorcan Doherty/INPHO

Schubert was sent scampering clear on the left wing and when the Austrian beat his man before cutting back to Patterson who blazed his shot high over the target.

Derry’s first attempt on goal in the second half arrived on 68 minutes when McNamee’s skimmed his strike narrowly past the post.

And McEneff also came close for the Candystripes two minutes later when his drilled effort bounced in front of Clarke and went just wide of the target.

Billy Dennehy was played through on goal by substitute, Graham Kelly but Doherty stood tall and saved bravely to deny the Saints attacker from close range.

Monaghan was presented with a glorious chance to clinch victory in the final minute of injury time but his powerful header from Ronan Curtis’ corner kick was wide of the target.

DERRY CITY: Doherty; McDermott, Vemmelund, Monaghan, Jarvis; Schubert (Boyle 61), McCormack, McEneff, Daniels (Curtis 69); McNamee (Doherty 86); Patterson.

ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Clarke, O’Brien, D Dennehy, Hoare, Bermingham; Byrne (Kinsella 69), Cawley (Kelly 19), Tracey (Verdon 81) , Timlin; Dennehy; Fagan.

Referee – Paul Tuite (Dublin).

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

‘Crumbs from the rich man’s table’: Two Irish clubs snub FAI’s €5k offering

Legia Warsaw stand in the way of Dundalk reaching the 

About the author:

Simon Collins

Read next: