This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 15 °C Saturday 11 July, 2020

Students end miserable run and secure a potentially critical win in Derry

Mark Langtry’s thumping strike proved the difference between the sides at the Brandywell.

Image: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Derry City 0 – 1 UCD

MARK LANGTRY’S BLISTERING first half strike was enough to secure UCD’s first win in 12 games and three precious points in the fight against the drop.

The defender fired in from the edge of the area just after the half hour mark as Aaron Callaghan’s troops claimed a valuable victory.

And those three valuable points will prove enough to save their season should they match Athlone Town’s result on the final day of the campaign.

UCD made a nervous start and Derry almost capitalised after just two minutes when Stephen Dooley played McEleney into space inside the penalty area but the striker fluffed his lines as his wayward shot went wide.

McEleney drove dangerously inside on 15 minutes and played Mark Timlin through on goal but the midfielder’s side-footed effort was saved comfortably by Conor O’Donnell.

The Candystripes should have taken the lead on the half hour mark after a quick break and when Patterson sent Philip Lowry through the Limavady man shot across goal and wide of the far post with the keeper beaten.

Kevin Devaney and Mark Langtry Mark Langtry (right) proved UCD's hero tonight with the game-winning goal. Source: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

The Students made them pay moments later when the ball broke at the edge of the box and Langtry sent his blistering strike into the net.

There were worried faces on the Derry touchline when Barry McNamee sustained a knock and he was quickly replaced by Sean Houston.

And the former UCD man should have equalised on the stroke of half-time when he got on the end of Dean Jarvis’ cross but the Donegal native somehow headed straight into the arms of a grateful O’Donnell from three yards as UCD survived.

And Houston was guilty of wasting another gilt-edged chance at the start of the second half when McEleney found him inside the area with a beautifully timed pass but his tame shot was cleared by Ian Ryan.

UCD were presented with a glorious chance to seal the win on 82 minutes when they found themselves on a four-on-one situation but Colin Crowe somehow struck retreating Derry defender, Jarvis and the chance was lost.

Straight up the other end and Houston once again sent his shot wide of the net from a promising position.

Robert Benson was then denied by Gerard Doherty after finding himself clean through on goal but the Derry keeper did superbly to get a hand to the ball and hook away the danger in the final minute.

Derry City: G. Doherty: S. Kelly, S. McEleney, B. Molloy, D. Jarvis; S. Dooley, P. Lowry, B. McNamee (S. Houston, 45), M. Timlin; P. McEleney (M. Duffy, 75), R. Patterson (R. Curran, 66); C. Gallagher, D. Ventre, N. Boyle, J. Tracey.

UCD: C. O’Donnell; G. Matthews, I. Ryan, H. Douglas,M. Langtry (D. Tobin, 59); C. Mulhall, R. Creevy (C. Crowe, 77), G. Burke, R. Benson, T. Molloy; C. Cannon (J. Kavanagh, 70)

Subs Not Used – N. Corbet, T. Boyle, S. Coyne, G. Sloggett.

Referee: Tomas Connolly (Dublin)

Gormon and Dillon keep Athlone’s survival hopes alive as they down Pat’s at Inchicore

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Simon Collins

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel