Early goals and clinical Connolly send Dublin into Division 1 semi-finals

The St. Vincent’s star had the final say.

Diarmund Connolly celebrates at the final whistle.
Diarmund Connolly celebrates at the final whistle.
Image: Presseye/Russell Pritchard/INPHO

Dublin 3-10

Tyrone 1-15

DUBLIN ONLY MANAGED to score seven points in the final 55 minutes of their must-win Allianz National Football League clash with Tyrone in Omagh this afternoon but 3-3 in the first 15 minutes was enough to see them into the Division 1 semi-finals.

Tyrone were left reeling when the defending champions came out firing, James McCarthy and Jason Whelan both raising the green flag with the Blues’ first two attacks of the game.

The home side’s chances of making Division 1′s final four were further hampered when Ronan McNamee was shown a black card on four minutes for a trip.

Though Darren McCurry steadied the ship somewhat by pointing two frees, Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan was picking the ball out of his net for the third time when Michael Dara MacAuley gave Dublin a 3-3 to 0-3 lead with just 15 minutes on the clock.

However, Jim Gavin’s men were only to trouble the umpires once more in the first half and McCurry and Morgan’s place balls ensured they went into the break trailing by six, 3-4 to 0-7.

Micky Harte’s charges continued to chip away at Dublin’s lead in a frustratingly stop-start second half, and were right back in the game when Peter Harte scored a 60th minute penalty after Shay McGuigan was brought down by Sean Currie in the Dublin goal.

Dublin were reduced to 14 men soon after when Rory O’Carroll picked up his second yellow card and Mattie Donnelly looked to have sent Tyrone into the semi-final when his long-range effort levelled the game in the 70th minute.

However, Diarmuid Connolly was not to be denied, the St. Vincent’s forward sealing a semi-final berth with an excellent point in stoppage time.

Scorers for Dublin: Scorers for Dublin: D Connolly (0-5, 3f), J Whelan (1-1), J McCarthy and MD Macauley (1-0 each), P McMahon, B Cullen, K McManamon, and A Brogan (0-1 each).
Scorers for Tyrone: D McCurry (0-6, 4f), P Harte (1-1, 1-0 pen), N Morgan (0-3, 1 ’45, 2f), R O’Neill (0-2, 2f), Mattie Donnelly, S Cavanagh and Mark Donnelly (0-1 each).

DUBLIN: S Currie; J Cooper, R O’Carroll, P McMahon; J McCarthy, K Nolan, J McCaffrey; MD Macauley, T Brady; J Whelan, D Connolly, B Cullen; K McManamon , E O’Gara, A Brogan.

Subs: P Andrews for Cullen (44), D Byrne for Brady (44), N Devereux for McCaffrey (52), C Costello for Brogan (57).

TYRONE: N Morgan (0-03, 1 ’45, 2f); A McCrory, R McNamee, R McKenna; C McGinley, Mattie Donnelly (0-01), P Harte (1-01, 1-0 pen); C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh (0-1); E McKenna, S McGuigan, Mark Donnelly (0-01); D McCurry (0-06, 4f), K Coney, C McAliskey.

Subs: D McBride for McNamee (BC, 3), M Penrose for E McKenna (21), R O’Neill (0-02, 2f) for Coney (h-t), C Gormley for McAliskey (57), D Carlin for McGinley (60), N McKenna for McGuigan (66)

Referee: M Duffy (Sligo).

Early scoring blitz too much for Derry as Mayo advance to semi finals

Cork show no mercy as Kerry miss out on semi-final spot

About the author:

Steve O'Rourke

Read next: