Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 19°C Sunday 13 June 2021

Incredible 8-goal thriller played out before Dundalk pip Pat's on penalties

Elsewhere in the EA Sports Cup, Cobh Ramblers claimed an upset over Limerick.

Dundalk players celebrate after the game.
Dundalk players celebrate after the game.
Image: Bryan Keane/INPHO

DUNDALK DREW 4-4 with St Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park tonight, before the visitors won 8-7 on penalties in an entertaining EA Sports Cup clash.

Goals from Marco Tagbajumi and Ronan Murray saw Dundalk leading comfortably at half-time, but the hosts fought back impressively, with Christy Fagan and Graham Kelly levelling the game within 15 minutes of the re-start.

After the fixture went to extra-time, Michael Leahy became the match’s most influential figure. The defender put Pat’s ahead, before turning a Dylan Connolly cross into his own net for a Dundalk equaliser.

Leahy then partially made up for his error, as he scored at the right end of the field for a second time to seemingly earn Liam Buckley’s side a hard-fought win.

However, a last-gasp Dane Massey goal brought the game to penalties.

There was inevitably more drama and tension to follow. Dean Clarke and Massey both missed early on, before a succession of successful penalties made it 7-7.

But Darragh Markey fired his effort over the bar, and Tagbajumi made no mistake to send the Lilywhites through.

Meanwhile, there was an upset at the Markets Field, as First Division outfit Cobh Ramblers beat Limerick 1-0.

The game appeared to be heading for extra-time, but Ben O’Riordan headed home from a corner in stoppage time to ensure an impressive win for Stephen Henderson’s men.

Elsewhere, Drogheda United defeated Leinster Senior League side St Mochta’s  3-2 at United Park.

A surprise result looked on initially, as Dean Kelly put the underdogs ahead, however goals from Mark Doyle, Eoin McPhillips and Stephen Meaney meant the hosts had a commanding half-time lead.

It went from bad to worse for Mochta’s, as Denis Moran was sent off for a stray elbow early in the second half.

Drogheda were still given a late scare though, as Philly Hughes reduced the deficit with a minute to play, but the hosts ultimately held on to book their place in the next round.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Former Milan, Real Madrid and England boss Capello confirms retirement from football>

‘Nothing Bale does is worth €100 million,’ says former Real Madrid coach>

About the author:

The42 Team

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel