This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Friday 6 December, 2019
Advertisement

Former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro slams FA in damning statement over Jose Mourinho row

The 42-year-old criticised the FA for not asking her to give evidence during its investigation into alleged sexist abuse.

Carneiro left Stamford Bridge just six weeks after the incident.
Carneiro left Stamford Bridge just six weeks after the incident.
Image: PA Archive/Press Association Images

FORMER CHELSEA DOCTOR Eva Carneiro has criticised the Football Association for failing to interview her during its investigation into alleged sexist remarks made by Jose Mourinho.

Carneiro left her role as first-team doctor with the Premier League champions last month just six week after her high-profile row with the Chelsea manager.

Mourinho branded Carneiro and physiotherapist Jon Fearn “naive” for entering the field to treat Eden Hazard during Chelsea’s draw with Swansea City on 8 August.

42-year-old Carneiro, who had been with the club since 2009, was subsequently dismissed from her first-team duties and told to instead work with the players at the Cobham training ground.

After Mourinho was cleared by the FA earlier this week, Carneiro has broken her silence over the row and released a statement this afternoon criticising the governing body’s handling of the situation.

“I was surprised to learn that the FA was allegedly investigating the incident of 8 August via the press,” the statement read.

“I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement.  I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant. Choosing to ignore some of the evidence will surely influence the outcome of the findings.

“Last season I had a similar experience at a game at West Ham FC, where I was subject to verbal abuse.  Following complaints by the public, the FA produced a communication to the press saying there had been no sexist chanting during this game. At no time was I approached for a statement despite the fact that vile unacceptable, sexually explicit abuse was clearly heard.”

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Southampton v Chelsea - St Mary's Source: PA Archive/Press Association Images

Although the FA announced they would bot be pursuing a case against Mourinho, chairman Greg Dyke admitted the Blues boss should apologise to Carneiro.

In a letter to FA council members, Dyke said Mourinho should have apologised amid “a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour.”

Not only have Chelsea come in for severe criticism at the way they’ve treated a staff member and the manner in which Mourinho lambasted her publicly but the FA’s own investigation has come under the spotlight.

Carneiro thanked Heather Rabbatts, an independent FA board member, for her support after she expressed ‘major concerns’ over the process.

“It is incidents such as these‎ and the lack of support from the football authorities that make it so difficult for women in the game. I admire what Heather Rabbatts has done and thank her and friends and colleagues who have supported me at this very difficult time.”

The FA’s investigation was based around a complaint from a member of the public who claimed Mourinho used an abusive and derogatory phrase towards Carneiro in the dying embers of the Premier League clash at Stamford Bridge.

It’s the latest development in a hugely damning episode for Chelsea.

The rumoured Ballon d’Or preliminary list contains some VERY odd names

‘Stop that story or we stop the press conference’ – Wenger hits back at ‘boring’ media

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Ryan Bailey

Read next:

COMMENTS (13)