BE PART OF THE TEAM

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 12°C Monday 14 June 2021
Advertisement

Fury says Wembley is booked for April 2018 face-off with Anthony Joshua

Promoter Eddie Hearn “has already booked Wembley Stadium for next April.”

Tyson Fury (file pic).
Tyson Fury (file pic).
Image: DPA/PA Images

WEMBLEY STADIUM HAS already been booked for an April 2018 face-off with Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury claims.

The 28-year-old currently has his eye on a comeback fight this summer, given he overturns a suspended drugs ban at a hearing this week.

Following Joshua’s epic 11th-round knockout win over Klitschko at Wembley last month, Fury has expressed his intent on taking down Joshua and regaining the belts.

He told the Telegraph that Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn “has already booked Wembley Stadium for next April.”

“There isn’t another stadium where it should take place. I would fight Joshua in October but I believe Klitschko will take the rematch.

“Deep down, I don’t think they want to fight me yet. Joshua struggled with Klitschko. And I took Klitschko to school, toyed with him, put my hands behind my back, literally, while he was letting his cannons go, slipping out of the way of them. They are not ready for that.”

Fury hasn’t fought since November 2015, when he beat Wladimir Klitschko to the world heavyweight title.

It was announced last year he would take a step back from boxing to improve his own mental health, and he vacated the belt. He was “declared medically unfit to fight” amid reports that he tested positive for cocaine, and was battling depression.

Joshua has made no secret either that he is also keen on an all-English super-fight with Fury.

“Is that what you want to see?” he addressed the crowd after his latest win. “I love fighting. Tyson Fury, I know he’s talking a lot and wants to come back and compete.

Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Wembley Stadium Joshua added the WBA title to his IBF belt last month. Source: Nick Potts

“I want to give 90,000 people another chance to witness another night of boxing. But I just want to fight everyone – I’m really enjoying this right now.”

In the in-depth interview with the Telegraph, Fury spoke of how he “did not want to live anymore” after the doping allegations first surfaced and how he hopes to return to the ring in July.

“If I had cheated, fine. But I have not cheated. I beat Klitschko on ability, I don’t need a drug. I’m a giant already. For them to say that about me, it sent me under.

“I did not want to live any more. But I feel differently now.

“I’ll be back on the July 8 Copper Box show headlined by Billy Joe Saunders,” he told BritishBoxers.co.uk last week.”I’ll have a few comeback fights, two or three, while I’m waiting for Joshua.

“I can be the best Tyson Fury again, it didn’t slip away, I just couldn’t be bothered no more, it was s*** and I didn’t value it”

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Dundalk manager Kenny fumes at ‘unacceptable’ defeat to Shamrock Rovers

Live TV interview cut short as Juventus defender Benatia claims he was racially abused

About the author:

Emma Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS (2)