This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Monday 14 October, 2019
Advertisement

John Delaney denies any link to Rio ticketing scandal

The FAI’s chief executive says he is reconsidering his voluntary position with the OCI.

FAI chief executive John Delaney (file photo).
FAI chief executive John Delaney (file photo).
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

OLYMPIC COUNCIL OF Ireland (OCI) vice president John Delaney has categorically denied that he has any involvement in the Rio Olympics ticketing scandal.

In a statement released today he states that he felt his role as FAI chief executive had put him in the media spotlight but that he had, in fact, no part in the day-to-day running of the OCI. 

Delaney addressed a number of issues to ‘the football family’, including:

  • “The Brazilian police have never contacted me in relation to any aspect of OCI business and a Brazilian Judge has withdrawn a warrant previously issued for my passport.
  • “I had absolutely no role or involvement in the OCI’s handling of ticketing arrangements for the RIO Olympic Games and no knowledge or awareness of PRO 10 or its position as the OCI’s Ticket Reseller. This appointment was not brought to the OCI Board’s attention.
  • “As a volunteer Board member which is not a day-to-day role and due to my primary role and football commitments, I was in a position to attend only 5 of the 13 Board meetings prior to the Rio Olympics.
  • “The OCI has committed its cooperation to the various reviews and investigations taking place and as an Executive Committee member I completely support all such enquiries and will play my part fully in all these matters.”

The FAI boss says he is now reconsidering his position as the FAI’s voluntary member of the OCI’s executive committee. 

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Championship’s joint-top scorer Hogan plays down Ireland call-up

League of Ireland season set to be extended from next year

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS