This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 4 °C Monday 17 February, 2020

Rovers rally from a goal down to clinch win against Wexford

Gary McCabe, Brandon Miele and Sean Boyd were on target in Tallaght for the home side.

Brandon Miele impressed for Rovers.
Brandon Miele impressed for Rovers.
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Shamrock Rovers 3

Wexford Youths 1

DESPITE GOING A goal down, Shamrock Rovers returned to winning ways tonight when they beat Wexford Youths 3-1 in Tallaght thanks to goals from Gary McCabe, Brandon Miele and Sean Boyd.

Both sides made two changes each after differing results on Friday night, with the Hoops losing to Sligo and Wexford picking up a vital three points against Longford.

Needing to build on that victory, Shane Keegan’s men looked lively from the off, and when Paul Murphy was bundled over in the box by David O’Connor with 19 minutes on the clock, Danny Furlong converted from the spot to make it 1-0.

Murphy had been lively before that, and he carved out another chance shortly after the opener, slipping the ball through to Andy Mulligan who shot just wide.

The home side really needed something to go their way having had plenty of the ball without ever threatening the Wexford goal, and Gary McCabe soon delivered, guiding a beautifully struck free kick into the top corner.

Not to be outdone, Brandon Miele then got in on the action with an equally fine goal three minutes later.

Some slick passing involving David Webster and Dean Clarke ended with the latter teeing up the midfielder who swept his strike over Graham Doyle and in.

Miele was at it again 10 minutes into the second half, but this time Doyle had the wherewithal to force the shot over his crossbar, while David O’Connor then flung himself at the resulting corner kick before the ball was eventually cleared.

Miele was brimming with confidence with an hour played, but it was Boyd who had the Tallaght faithful cheering next when he headed home Trevor Clarke’s delivery from the left with 70 minutes on the clock.

The introduction of James Doona and Aaron Dobbs for the home side after that meant there was little respite for Wexford Youths, and when Gary Delaney picked up a second yellow card he was off as they finished with 10 men.

SHAMROCK ROVERS: Hyland, Cornwall, D O’Connor, Webster, Madden, McCabe, Cregg, T Clarke, Miele (Doona, 77), Boyd (Dobbs, 77), D Clarke (Shaw, 70). Subs: Murphy, K Brennan, G Brennan, Shaw, Doona, McPhail, Dobbs.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Doyle, McCabe, Delaney, Grace, Last, O’Keefe, Bonner (Dempsey, 80), Murphy, Furlong (Higgins, 81), Dunne (Kenny, 80). Mulligan. Subs: Higgins, Ledwith, Dempsey, Kenny, Whittle, O’Connor, Dowling.

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

‘You never picked him in the summer!’ Carra hits back after Neville praises Stones

Ireland international Marc Wilson joins Arter and O’Kane at Bournemouth

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Simon Walsh

Read next: