Dublin: 9°C Monday 29 November 2021

Kilmacud and St Jude's claim victories to secure Dublin senior semi-final spots

Two clashes in Parnell Park today.

Updated Aug 29th 2020, 9:00 PM

THE 2018 CHAMPIONS saw off the 2017 winners in this evening’s quarter-final clash in the Dublin senior football championship as Kilmacud Crokes progressed on a day when St Jude’s also reached the semi-finals.

diarmuid-connolly-with-cian-osullivan-after-the-game Diarmuid Connolly with Cian O'Sullivan after the game

Kilmacud Crokes raised four green flags and won by 12 points as they saw St Vincent’s by 4-15 to 1-12 in Parnell Park in their quarter-final clash.

The game began in dramatic fashion with early goals, Paul Mannion for Kilmacud and Greg Murphy for Vincent’s, before another from Dara Mullin followed for the winners.

It was 2-6 to 1-8 at half-time in favour of Kilmacud Crokes and they put daylight between the teams with a critical third strike courtesy of Hugh Kenny early in the second half.

Kilmacud were in front 3-11 to 1-12 entering the final quarter before then Kenny bagged another goal as the victors hit 1-4 without reply from there until the final whistle.

paul-mannion-scores-a-goal Paul Mannion fires home a goal for Kilmacud Source: Tommy Dickson/INPHO

seamus-ryan-with-adam-fearon St. Judes' Seamus Ryan with Adam Fearon of Skerries Harps. Source: Tommy Dickson/INPHO

Earlier St Judes became the first team to book a spot in the Dublin SFC1 semi-finals after holding off a late fightback from Skerries Harps in Parnell Park.

The 2018 finalists had seven points to spare at the final whistle, with Kevin McManamon hitting 1-5 following an impressive display.

They were eight points clear at one point in the second half, but their opponents were just four points adrift after 54 minutes.

McManamon’s goal put Jude’s into that 1-11 to 0-6 lead before Killian McGinnis found the net for Skerries to ensure a nervy finish. 


Get closer to the stories that matter with exclusive analysis, insight and debate in The42 Membership.

Become a Member

Skerries missed some goal chances and could only manage one more point before the end, while Jude’s tagged on the insurance points to send them through to the final four.

St Jude’s opened up a three-point lead in the early stages of the first half courtesy of a Niall Coakley free.

Skerries were back on level terms though by the 26th minute after goalkeeper Cormac Rocks came up the field to convert a ’45.  The teams went into half-time break on a 0-6 0-6 scoreline.

St Jude’s regained the advantage after the restart, opening up a five-point gap, with McManamon and Diarmaid McLoughlin among the scorers. 

McManamon struck again by grabbing the first goal of the game to push his side further in front.

Skerries rallied once more, with that McGinnis goal cutting the deficit to four. But it was Jude’s who pushed on to secure the victory and progress to the semi-finals.

Kilmacud Crokes and St Vincent’s will do battle in the other quarter-final this evening [throw-in, 5.30pm].

Two more quarter-finals will follow tomorrow, as Ballyboden St Enda’s take on Raheny at 2pm followed by the clash of Ballymun Kickhams and Na Fianna at 4.30pm.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

About the author:

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel