This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 11 °C Wednesday 23 October, 2019

Tribesmen turn on the style in front of their biggest fan as they shock the Saints at Inchicore

President Michael D Higgins was in attendance at Richmond Park as Galway United secured smash-and-grab win.

Image: Gary Carr/INPHO

St Patrick’s Athletic 1

Galway United 3

GALWAY UNITED FINISHED with a flourish as late goals from John Sullivan and substitute Enda Curran sealed a hugely encouraging success.

Tommy Dunne’s side are quietly optimistic about making an impact in this season’s SSE Airtricity League and a defiant display was rewarded with the full complement of spoils.

Chances were scarce during the opening period as Galway were content to depart at the break still on level terms.

Galway went close in the fourth minute, but debutant Ruairi Keating just couldn’t connect with a sharp Vinny Faherty cross.

Billy Dennehy reacts to a missed free kick St. Pats' Billy Dennehy reacts after he goes close with a free-kick. Source: Gary Carr/INPHO

Billy Dennehy drilled a seventh minute free-kick narrowly wide as Liam Buckley’s charges probed for an opener.

In the 28th minute Graham Kelly drilled a shot over the bar, but with Stephen Folan effective anchoring the Galway defence the visitors went in deadlocked at half-time.

But within a minute of the restart Pat’s bagged a goal when Fagan expertly headed home an inviting Billy Dennehy cross.

In the 58th minute Galway restored parity as Vinny Faherty equalised with a crisp finish from an acute angle.

John Sullivan celebrates his goal The Tribesmen celebrate John O'Sullivan's strike. Source: Gary Carr/INPHO

Curran and John Sullivan went close for Galway before the Saints came swinging again.

Billy Dennehy rifled an attempt over, while Galway goalkeeper Conor Winn clawed away a Christy Fagan shot in the 78th minute.

The Saints were stunned with seven minutes remaining when John Sullivan headed home a smashing Connolly free-kick before Curran decorated the win in stoppage time.

ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Brendan Clarke; Ger O’Brien, Darren Dennehy, Sean Hoare, Ian Bermingham; Shane McEleney, David Cawley, Graham Kelly (Mark Timlin, 72); Conan Byrne, Christy Fagan (Dinny Corcoran, 79), Billy Dennehy.

GALWAY UNITED: Conor Winn; Colm Horgan, Paul Sinnott, Stephen Folan, Stephen Walsh; Gary Shanahan (Conor Melody, 77), John Sullivan, Ryan Connolly, Kevin Devaney (Kilian Cantwell, 85); Ruairi Keating (Enda Curran, 45), Vinny Faherty.

Referee: Robert Harvey (Dublin)

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

The League of Ireland is back and here are 8 questions to be answered this season

‘This weekend, full of hope, we can look forward to again being part of the #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Cian O'Connell

Read next: