This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership

Become A Member
Dublin: 16 °C Thursday 13 August, 2020

Patterson's last-gasp winner snatches 3 points for Derry in Wexford

The Candystripes came away from Ferrycarrig with a 2-1 victory this evening.

Match-winner Patterson.
Match-winner Patterson.
Image: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

Wexford Youths 1

Derry City 2

A LATE GOAL from Derry City striker Rory Patterson broke the hearts of Wexford Youths as he snatched a 2-1 win at Ferrycarrig Park on Saturday evening.

Danny Furlong’s 83rd-minute equaliser had looked to have earned the Youths a point after Conor McCormack had given Derry City the lead, but Patterson was on hand to snatch all three points for the Candystripes.

Youths striker Paul Murphy had the first chance of the game after just three minutes. Ryan Delaney found Danny Furlong who flicked on to Murphy, but Derry City keeper Ger Doherty was quick from his goal to block.

Down the other end Ronan Curtis almost found the net for the visitors as his deflected strike looped over Graham Doyle in the Youths goal but it dropped just wide.

Furlong was almost in on the 20-minute mark when he latched onto Craig McCabe’s flick, but again Doherty was quick from his goal to make an important block. The striker had two more chances on the stroke of half time as he first fired wide with a first-time strike, before an acrobatic effort forced Doherty into a fine one-handed save.

Derry City captain Ryan McBride almost grabbed the opener on the hour mark. Barry McNamee’s corner from the right found McBride at the back post and he forced Youths keeper Doyle into a good low save.

Ger Doherty Derry goalkeeper Ger Doherty. Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO

The Derry pressure was to pay off in the second half as the away side broke the deadlock after 69 minutes.

Substitute Keith Ward crossed from the right and found McNamee, who in turn laid the ball into the path of the on-rushing McCormack and he fired an unstoppable first-time drive into the top corner of Graham Doyle’s goal.

But the Youths fought back and levelled the game with seven minutes remaining. Great work from Eric Molloy found him a way past two defenders down the right. His pinpoint low cross picked out Danny Furlong unmarked and he struck low into the bottom left corner.

Be part
of the team

Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.

Become a Member

The drama didn’t end there though, as Derry City snatched a late, late winner in the final seconds.

Barry McNamee’s lofted free-kick from the right was met by the head of Patterson at the back post and the striker secured a fourth consecutive win of the season for the visitors.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Graham Doyle; Craig McCabe, Gary Delaney (Stephen Last 83), Lee Grace, Ryan Delaney; Aidan Friel, Chris Kenny, Danny Ledwith (Craig Wall 78), Andy Muligan (Eric Molloy 65); Paul Murphy, Danny Furlong.

DERRY CITY: Gerard Doherty; Niclas Vemmelund, Aaron Barry, Ryan McBride, Dean Jarvis; Gareth McGlynn (Keith Ward 57), Conor McCormack, Harry Monaghan, Ronan Curtis (Nathan Boyle 76); Barry McNamee; Rory Patterson.

Referee: Graham Kelly

The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!

Faherty the match-winner as Galway overcome Bohs to soar up the table

St Kevin’s Boys get the better of Barcelona in the Academy Cup

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Read next: