Dublin: 18°C Tuesday 19 October 2021
Advertisement

Stephen Hendry announces his retirement from snooker

The Scottish player made the announcement following his comprehensive loss to Stephen Maguire this evening.

Hendry retires having won seven World Snooker Championships.
Hendry retires having won seven World Snooker Championships.

Updated at 9.51pm

LEGENDARY SNOOKER PLAYER Stephen Hendry has announced his immediate retirement from snooker, following his comprehensive loss to Stephen Maguire at the World Snooker Championship this evening.

The 43-year-old Scottish player was beaten 13-2 by Maguire, in a disappointing performance at the quarter-final stage of the tournament.

Speaking at a press conference after the match, he said the decision was not made solely in reaction to his emphatic loss:

“I am officially retired now from tournament snooker,” he said. “I made the decision about three months ago.”

He continued:

“There’s a few reasons [for retiring].

“The schedule, the fact I’m not playing the snooker I want to play, and the fact I’m not enjoying practice.”

He added: “It was quite an easy decision.

“I didn’t tell many people [before the tournament], but this is me finished from tournament snooker.”

And in relation to what the future holds, Hendry said:

“I’ve got a lot of commitments now in China, which I’ve signed up for and I can’t do that and play snooker because I would never be at home.”

He retires having won seven world titles in snooker, but will be disappointed to exit the competition in such a tame fashion.

Hendry had been hoping to win his first Crucible title in 13 years, after beating both Stuart Bingham and defending champion John Higgins to reach the quarters.

Read: VIDEO: Take a nine-second break to watch this steeplechase runner take a dunk>

Read: Aussie sport: Marijuana not performance-enhancing>

About the author:

Paul Fennessy

Read next:

COMMENTS (25)